Radiator Leak

Nicutlass_Supremacy

Hi,

I found a leak on the radiator last week. I could trace it and found that it ir leaking between the plastic case and the aluminum panel. I also found that this happens when the pressure raises in the system and begins to hiss there next to the hose. Does any stop leak works? I found here in Uruguay a Liqui Moly Stop Leak that it looks like a good option.

Thanks,

Nicolás.

I am against any type of stop leak products unless it for a power steering system. They typically do more harm than good.

Does anyone ever tried to fix this kind of leak? I´m worried that I could broke the aluminum tabs that hook up the plastic tank and make it worse.

Ahh yes, next to the return hose, that is always the area these damned radiators spring leaks. Mine did, and the two different junkyard units I tried leaked in right about the same place.

So what I used was alumaseal. It is at autozone and comes in a little plastic tube, maybe $3. It looks like sawdust. Probably what it is...

It does seem to stop the leak for a while but it will be back leaking in the same spot. Typically that stuff seems to last about 3 to 4 weeks for me.

I don't claim it is a GOOD idea to use it but just my experience with it. Being how the leak is at the top area by that hose, the stuff has a harder time stopping up the leak.

Eventually you will just need to replace the radiator. That should not be a real bad job but just kind of messy. I would say when you do that, disconnect the trans cooler rubber lines instead of trying to unscrew them when the radiator is still in the car. Makes the job so much easier.

Lastly when you do get a new radiator, get one with a god warranty cause these things really are POS.

DO NOT PUT ANY STOP LEAK IN THE RADIATOR. Anything that plugs holes in a radiator is going to plug up the cooling system as well. That stuff is only good for people like me: Technicians who make a lot of money undoing the damage people do by using that crap.