Convertible Top Sizes

White92Cutlass

www.topsonline.com says that '92-'95 Cutlass Convertibles came with two different convertible top sizes- 53 or 54 inches across. Here's the link:

http://www.topsonline.com/model/Convertible_Tops_And_Accessories/Oldsmobile/1992_thru_1995_Oldsmobile_Cutlass_And_Cutlass_Supreme.html

I measured the tops on our '92 and '93 and they are closer to 53. Anybody know what the deal is on this? Did '94's and 95's get a slightly wider top? Is the top frame slightly wider on some convertibles?

• 2 weeks later...
I saw that on their website too. After seeing how much my top shrunk over the years I am tempted to buy the wider one regardless of what mine originally was.

That would make sense. I had my top replaced in 2000 and when I got it back I thought it looked a little big, but I'm glad it was because it's 12 years later and its still got a little room to shrink. Bindings will wear out before the top shrinks to pop the rear window...

I saw that on their website too. After seeing how much my top shrunk over the years I am tempted to buy the wider one regardless of what mine originally was.

I am thinking about going with the wider one, also. Just wish I knew which verts got the wider one, if it helped reduce water leaks, and why all didn't get the same size. Also wish I had confirmation that the top frame wasn't slightly wider on some. The top frame is supposed to be the same on '91-'95's, but topsonline.com lists the replacement top for a '91 separately from the '92-'95's. I'll probably try to call them this week to see if they can answer any of these questions.

Edited by White92Cutlass

Got some info from topsonline today. According to information they got from GM, there were different size convertible top frames used on the Cutlass verts. Some Cutlasses had a slightly wider top frame than others. The '92-'95 Cutlasses came with either a frame created for a 53 or 54 inch wide top and GM apparently didn't keep good records as to which cars got which. Topsonline received no specific date as to when the change occured. 1991 Cutlasses reportedly got 56 inch wide top frames. Topsonline said that the windows can cause an issue with putting a 54 inch top on a frame made for a 53.

Edited by White92Cutlass
  • Like 1

OK...so the question isn't necesarily what size top, but what size frame...if we could get some folks to measure their frame, then note the dimensions, and model years, we might be able to figure out which is which....because the frame should be SMALLER than the top mounted to it, since the top wraps around the frame.

Best bet would be to measure to the outside of the top frame at each bow, and see if there are any differences.

OK...so the question isn't necesarily what size top, but what size frame...if we could get some folks to measure their frame, then note the dimensions, and model years, we might be able to figure out which is which....because the frame should be SMALLER than the top mounted to it, since the top wraps around the frame.

Best bet would be to measure to the outside of the top frame at each bow, and see if there are any differences.

They told me today to measure from edge of rubber to edge of rubber on the third bow shown in the diagram to determine which frame we have. They said that the'92-'95 rear windows are all the same. My guess is that some or all '95's have the 54 and maybe some '94's. Was probably an attempt to reduce water leaks.

Edited by White92Cutlass

Guess my theory was wrong. When I measured my '92 before, I measured to the edges of the top and got 53. I just measured the '92 to the edges of the rubber as instructed today and came up with exactly 54. I'll measure the '93 tomorrow (it's not here right now).

94 olds vert, did you measure yours from convertible top edges or rubber edges?

Galaxie500XL, nice Cutlass btw

• 5 years later...

Was going to ask this very question in the whatever thread. Anyone ever get any better year specific info? Per topsonline.com diagram I get 53" on the money measuring the top edge to edge on the 3rd bow.

• 3 weeks later...

I did notice on my 95, there was a plastic piece sewn in right in the place where the two weather strippings meet.  On one side the weather stripping is tight, and on the other side there is a slight gap.  I wonder which size i got on my replacement.

• 4 years later...
On 9/5/2012 at 1:45 PM, White92Cutlass said:

www.topsonline.com says that '92-'95 Cutlass Convertibles came with two different convertible top sizes- 53 or 54 inches across. Here's the link:

http://www.topsonline.com/model/Convertible_Tops_And_Accessories/Oldsmobile/1992_thru_1995_Oldsmobile_Cutlass_And_Cutlass_Supreme.html

I measured the tops on our '92 and '93 and they are closer to 53. Anybody know what the deal is on this? Did '94's and 95's get a slightly wider top? Is the top frame slightly wider on some convertibles?

I had a top put on my 93 and it is definitely too small it doesn't even cover the top framing let alone go over the windows. But my installer said he was told they only make one size so he was misled and I have a top that doesn't fit right. I'll need to modify it to cover the frame and windows , maybe duct tape?

20180606_230518.jpg

20180927_125415.jpg

Your top looks like mine did on my 95 after I replaced it.  I think it's ok, are you leaving it out in the rain for a long time?  In the winter months when I wasn't lowering the top, I tried covering the gap between the two rubber pieces with black duct tape.   It helped somewhat to keep out the rain, but then in the summer when I took off the tape then it left a white residue from the adhesive, so I don't recommend it.   

I think your car looks great!    And when the top is down, it doesn't matter anyway!