Turbo blanket vs heat shield

Penglii

What do you all think would be a better heat management solution for my Disco Potato?

A turbo blanket like this:

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/product_info.php?cPath=10&products_id=448&osCsid=e25675a80e99908a8e406ae4483e7840

Or a turbo heat shield like this:

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=ATP-ACS-023&Category_Code=BCS

Or... should I consider using both simultaneously?

keep an eye out for something similar at the junk yard. but that polished stainless one I cant help but wonder if it would look great on there.

I do heat shields because I have increased the airflow around my turbo with the AC condenser fin removal mod before the intercooler. also fan 2 can be tuned.

the only thing that melts stuff is DIRECT heat from the turbine. indirect heat needs to evacuate but cant as much with a blanket. I may be wrong on this but there is two schools of thought on this.

that polished stainless one I cant help but wonder if it would look great on there.

I agree... I may end up getting it because it would probably look great under the hood. Can never have too many shiny things...

blanket absorbs/ contains heat, and shield deflects heat, i think i have it right

That is how I understand it as well...

I did some googling and I have seen a lot of mixed answers.

Obviously nobody suggests running without any sort of heat management.

A lot of people swear by turbo blankets... and obviously the stock turbo utilized a turbo blanket... but a bunch of other people insist that it can hold the heat in TOO well so it wont dissipate fast enough and will shorten the life of the turbo. I understand the logic, but I'm not sure if the issue is as big of a deal as some people insist. Especially with the Disco Potato being a water and oil cooled BB unit.

Another bunch of people swear by metal heat shields to block the heat from the turbo... this makes sense to me too, since it's both a physical barrier and a heat sink so it seems like it would keep engine bay temps down without holding excessive heat into the turbo.

Another (smaller) subset of people suggest running both a turbo blanket AND a heat shield... is there some sense to this? Or is it overkill plain and simple?

add airflow to engine bay

So far I've removed the air conditioning (well, the condensor is still there, but that will be removed eventually too) and I've removed the stock coolant bottle in favor of a better one... that alone really opened up the space in that general area... that probaby improves airflow some, at least a little, eh?

Since I have not yet even driven the car in over a year... I cannot say that I am having any specific heat soak issues.

Just trying to stay on top of things I guess so I'm not running without any acceptable heat protection for very long once I finally do start actually driving the car again.

got to the point with mine that I had the upper charge pipe get colder and colder the more harder I drove it. I have a good 10 or so mods to get to that point.

yeah it was just for a minute, but I was impressed. it was like :lohl:SSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHSSSSSSSSSSHHhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

then I took off again WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHshift WWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhpsh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D

I'm thinking about turbo blanket also. I would like as much heat as possible away from pm3 even if it has the heat shield. Also has any1 mounted up 2 fans before? 1 right in front of intercooler? I haven't had a/c in my car since I got it so I'm gonna delete system and maybe put fan where condenser was. Just a thought. That heat shield does look sweet tho

PM3 heat shield

How did you fasten the PM3 heat shield to the turbo housing? Or is it just sort of wedged in there resting on top?

I am working on a temporary heat shield solution, something to use during my Vacation next week, but I don't really have the time/tools right now to do anything fancy... doing some brainstorming right now.

I'm thinking about turbo blanket also. I would like as much heat as possible away from pm3 even if it has the heat shield. Also has any1 mounted up 2 fans before? 1 right in front of intercooler? I haven't had a/c in my car since I got it so I'm gonna delete system and maybe put fan where condenser was. Just a thought. That heat shield does look sweet tho

you should have a fan there already. no need to remove the condenser, just take some needle nose pliers and remove the fins. it takes a few hours but worth it because its the single best way to increase airflow to the turbo next to dropping the FAN 2 ON (AC OFF) scalar to 160 degrees F. or a combo of the two would be keeping you frosty.

How did you fasten the PM3 heat shield to the turbo housing? Or is it just sort of wedged in there resting on top?

I am working on a temporary heat shield solution, something to use during my Vacation next week, but I don't really have the time/tools right now to do anything fancy... doing some brainstorming right now.

staple together some beer cans? :lol: the PM3 shield works so damn good I can hardly believe it. you just need to find an extra one somewhere. I modified it to fit with my foot. :lol: just stomp it and stuff it.

staple together some beer cans? :lol: the PM3 shield works so damn good I can hardly believe it. you just need to find an extra one somewhere. I modified it to fit with my foot. :lol: just stomp it and stuff it.

LOL... I'm gonna keep my eye out for a PMIII heat shield for sure.

In the meantime I think I can fab something out of this stainless steel mixing bowl I snagged from Goodwill on my lunch break today.

Not sure if I'm gonna try to make it mount onto a center housing bolt like that ATP one does... or if I'll just make a steel arc that I can just stuff in there. Suppose it depends on how lazy I'm feeling.

I will post pics when I'm done.

Anything I come up with is gonna be way better than running with no shielding at all...

you should have a fan there already. no need to remove the condenser, just take some needle nose pliers and remove the fins. it takes a few hours but worth it because its the single best way to increase airflow to the turbo next to dropping the FAN 2 ON (AC OFF) scalar to 160 degrees F. or a combo of the two would be keeping you frosty.

thinking it over, I would set the scalars at:

if say it looks like:

FAN 1 ON (AC OFF) : 190

then:

FAN 2 ON (AC OFF) : 191

(for a 180 t-stat) or fan 2 could be set to come on BEFORE fan 1 and that would be great IF you have a good charging idle tune. whatever you do avoid tuning them at the same exact temp for both fans! that would probably melt your charge wire off the alt. they should be at least a degree or two off as they fire up. NUM OF IAC STEPS FOR FAN 2 is going to do nothing set at 4, up that number to at least twice that, or whatever suits your car after experimenting with it.

Edited by Garrett Powered

LOL... I'm gonna keep my eye out for a PMIII heat shield for sure.

In the meantime I think I can fab something out of this stainless steel mixing bowl I snagged from Goodwill on my lunch break today.

Not sure if I'm gonna try to make it mount onto a center housing bolt like that ATP one does... or if I'll just make a steel arc that I can just stuff in there. Suppose it depends on how lazy I'm feeling.

I will post pics when I'm done.

Anything I come up with is gonna be way better than running with no shielding at all...

also you will want a shield for the lower charge pipe.

also you will want a shield for the lower charge pipe.

Oh? I can understand the benefit of shielding the upper charge pipe... keep the cool air cool... but isn't the air in the lower charge pipe already hot from coming out of the turbo but not yet progressing through the intercooler?

look how close the lower charge pipe is to the manifold. if it were any closer it would be touching it!

I will take a pic of the shield I have there on that corner, it just cups it.. I also use fire sleeve and tape it on there with heat reflective tape.