94 Cutlass A/C Compressor

oldsfever

Does anyone have experience replacing the a/c compressor and other components on a Olds 3.4? The a/c quit getting cold and the mechanic told me the compressor had a leak and he estimated $1200 to replace it. Any tips or suggestions are appeciated.

Thanks.

Don't suppose that he used his sniffer to tell your precisely where the leak was/is at the compressor?

The compressor is a Delphi V5, it is a variable displacement design (meaning that it does NOT cycle), they were known for leaking past the forward shaft seal & possibly by the control valve to housing O-ring.

If you get under the car and look up at the compressor can you see anywhere on the housing...dampness/wetness from compressor oil?

The control valve can be removed without pulling the compressor from the engine, it is located on the bottom of the housing..at the rear of the housing, it looks like a small nipple recessed into the case held in there by a snap ring.

If you can get it out, you will get some oil with it as well, so if you do get it out you'll need to replace that oil with the same amount up thru the top via the rear port (remove the solid A/C pipes from the rear flange).

Otherwise, pull the compressor from the engine, it will come off, it is a tedious job as it is close quarters down there.

You're a '94 car?.....so you are already 134a, if you replace the compressor you'll be getting a reman/used (whatever) compressor, get an O ring kit with the compressor as well, throw the old ones away.

If you're capable... do all of the *hard* work yourself, you'll save the cost of the shop labor (and what the shop would charge YOU for them supplying the compressor and other parts). Opening up the system will require replacing the drier.

Have at it....and best of luck

Edited by 55trucker

Nope, he didn't tell me but they put dye in it so I should be able to see where it's leaking. Sounds like replacing it with a rebuilt one is the best way to go anyway, with a drier. I put an alternator on this car so the compressor can't be much worse than that, hopefully. Thanks for the reply and tips in case I decide to go another way.

Dude, if you were a bit closer to me I could fix you up cheap. 1200 bucks is ridiculous. I get a discount from the parts store I deal with and the last compressor I bought was 175 bucks. That was new, not reman.

Wow. that's almost worth the drive. I found a rebuilt one locally for $250. I'm just trying to determine if I can do it

or not. Supposedly it's the compressor and drier and I'll be good to go.

Really, not that hard to do. I don't think you'll have much issue tackling it yourself. Plus the savings are substantial!

I've worked for dealers for years and it just makes me sick what people are paying for A/C repairs. Seems most repairs exceed

the 1000 dollar range. I couldn't even begin to imagine paying that much.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I've decided to give it a try when I can afford the parts. I checked around here and the cheapest new unit I can find is $314 just for the compressor. I'm going to try a few more places even if I have to drive a bit and see if I can get it cheaper.

i just purchased a compressor/drier/oil/expansion tube and all of the required O-rings, in a kit, for my 94 olds cutlass off E-bay for $265 plus $30 shipping to Canada. Duty/taxes were another $37 for a total of $332.00. a local AC shop will vacumn/ leak test and fill the system for $175.00. In theroy the total cost should be $510 with a system up and running.

I am installing the unit tonight and all of the parts seem correct. As to how good these parts will work or how long they will last, remains to be seen. The quotes from the A/C shops and GM dealers were $1,200.00 plus taxes of 13%, which works out to $1356.00. I should end up saving $850 on the deal, not counting my time. So far I have all of the old parts off the car tonight, cleaning up the brackets, and getting ready to install the new pieces. Now I just have to get them on correctly, which appears quite straightforward. :)

Edited by crowbarsk1

"Opening up the system will require replacing the drier."

Huh? I've never messed with the A/C in my car. But I've never heard of having to replace the drier any time you get into an A/C system. Why is that necessary on this car?

Opening up the system to the atmosphere can allow moisture to get into the drier, the desiccant inside the drier needs to be kept completely free of any moisture otherwise possible dampness/corrosion can be distributed throughout the system and in particular..to the compressor.

Especially when the compressor is replaced, if the drier is not replaced as well, the warranty on the compressor can be voided if it fails.

Looks like I found the parts so I'll be attempting this when they arrive. I got a new compressor and drier kit for $174 and a evaporator for $56.00. The compressor and evaporator are where the leaks are suppose to be so I hope this does it. Thanks for everyones responses.

You will also need a bottle of Pag oil to replace the lost oil from the drier & the evap core when they are replaced.

GM generally uses Pag 46,

the drier should hold approx 2 to 3oz....drain out the oil from the old drier to check volume

the evap core approx 1.5oz

the compressor SHOULD be shipped with oil already inside..... ex. 7oz.....(assuming it is a new/reman unit), you measure the volume needed to go into the new one by draining out the oil from the OLD compressor into a measuring cup/beaker.

Only fill the same volume into the new one.

The drier goes in Last.......keep the plugs in place on the new one until you're ready to install,.... lightly oil all o-rings before installing them.

After you have the system back together don't wait long to get the system vacuumed (do it almost immediately,,,you now have atmosphere in the system and you need to get that out to prevent moisture corrosion)