ABS Scanner from Autozone

yorxs

In regards to this scanner http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Actron-OBD-I-code-scanner-for-GM-1982-1995/_/N-25iq?itemIdentifier=5390_0_0_

It appears to be able to pull ABS codes for just $29. Reading older posts in the forum users seem to indicate getting an ABS scanner is not easy or cheap.

Will a scanner this cheap really be able to diagnose an ABS light stuck on and tell me if it is a wheel sensor and which wheel to check?

This is on a 93 GTP, I believe these are OBD1.5

Edited by yorxs

I don't see it working for our cars. I have a similar device and it absolutely does not work. my tech1 on the other hand does work rather well.

that "device" is a paperclip inside of a molded plastic enclosure. total waste of money and no it will not allow ABS code retreival.

for ABS, you'll either need to find a tech1 or one of the snap-on/OTC equivalents or an ALDL cable.

Since the Autozone scanner seems like a non solution, is the dealer my best bet? I hate going since they like to use the age of my car as a reason to sell me a new one. Checked out eBay and $150 is more than I'm ready to spend, and I don't know what kind of specialized knowledge is need to operate a tech1.

If I disconnect the battery the light stays off for 2 to 3 months, is there a way to reset the light besides the battery/ I hate having to resetup my car stereo every time.

easy way would be to just disconnect the EBCM itself... either permanantly or just for the short amount of time necessary to clear the code(s).

it should be right under/next to the steering column. you'll see 2 connectors, 1 with 8 large wires, 1 with a bunch of smaller ones. disconnect the one with small wires.

Before spending money on some scanner, have you investigated the stuff that doesn't need one?

The wires to the ABS sensors are not broke and connectors are tight? What about the ones on the master cylinder?

The sensors themselves look to be clean and in good shape?

The sprocket is not messed up (I had one car where the sprocket ring around the CV was cracked, but that was some ford) I don't know if the sprocket on our CV's are separate or how it is set up but there is one.

LAstly - I do not know the specs for our cars but in a Ford Contour - you raise the wheel in question, disconnect the sensor, put a multimeter across it, set to measure AC (alternating current) and spin the shit out of the wheel, and the voltage should increase with speed. I imagine most ABS work the same. it does not produce AC but that is what the meter will see it as.

If you first turn on the car and the ABS light comes on for the initial test and goes off but then comes on when you hit maybe 15 to 20 MPH, immediately suspect a sensor or sprocket.

Agreed would love to investigate and solve the problem. I hoped the scanner would nail down which wheel to check. I assume all 4 wheels have speed sensors?

Symptom is a Anti-Lock light thats always on, if I pull the battery the light stays off for months, but once it comes on it never shuts off.

I've checked the remote jump terminal, I read its a common cause. All wires appear perfect. I will attempt the speed sensor test to see if I can measure anything.

Yes all four wheels have a speed sensor - it has to so the car knows what wheel(s) lock up if stopping on a slick surface.

If atuozone or some place has a ABS scanner as a loaner tool, then that would be the easiest place to start just to get an idea. Or you could buy it, carefully unpack it use it, and return it. Not moral but people do that.

I am no expert on ABS, just the experience I had with my junky contour.

One thing - when the ABS light is off (or on) does the ABS still work effectively? I know it is harder to test when the roads are dry like right now but if the brakes are really good and CAN lock the wheels on a dry surface...

At least right now you have several months before having to make a sudden stop on some icy road. Plenty of time to investigate and fix.

Yes all four wheels have a speed sensor - it has to so the car knows what wheel(s) lock up if stopping on a slick surface.

If atuozone or some place has a ABS scanner as a loaner tool, then that would be the easiest place to start just to get an idea. Or you could buy it, carefully unpack it use it, and return it. Not moral but people do that.

I am no expert on ABS, just the experience I had with my junky contour.

One thing - when the ABS light is off (or on) does the ABS still work effectively? I know it is harder to test when the roads are dry like right now but if the brakes are really good and CAN lock the wheels on a dry surface...

At least right now you have several months before having to make a sudden stop on some icy road. Plenty of time to investigate and fix.

Do you have the Delco VI ABS system? You may have the same *****ed up setup as my 92 Achieva and 94 Achieva. Neither will work with a "most standard ABS scanner". GM had a few cars, for a few years, that had to have a "special interface" for their ABS. Yes, it's a huge pain to find an ABS scanner that will work with my Achievas.

One thing - when the ABS light is off (or on) does the ABS still work effectively?

If the ABS light is on, the ABS will be disabled.

However, if a problem is found in the ABS unit during when the ABS unit is being used in an anti-lock situation, the controller will disable the ABS. There are many ways that a problem may hide, or may not show up until the ABS unit tries to do it's thing.

On my last ABS unit, one of the motor circuits would show current, even when it wasn't activated. Of course, that would often only show up when I needed the anti-lock function.

In the data capture below, you can see how the left Front motor current feedback was showing current when it shouldn't (in the blue area).

abs_error_92_olds_LF_motor_current.jpg

BTW, I don't think there's a cheap ABS scanner for the "special 90's GM ABS setups". I think it's at least $500 for an ABS scanner that will scan those "special years and models".

Edited by Cutlass350

Cutlass, well I don't know what ABS my GP has. I have not had problems with it, it is one of the few things on my car that hasn't taken a crap and needed fixed yet.

Only system I am somewhat familiar with is the 96 ford contour.

I appreciate the post though, get to learn something new :D