95 base Lumina newbie in Minneapolis!

keviefriend

Hey everyone!

I just picked up a 95 Lumina from a private seller (it had been sitting quite a while). I didn't take any photos today (I had class, then it was dark), but it's white, column shift 4speed. There are a few minor things we're going to take off my partner's old car, a too-rusty-to-drive 96 Monte that this car needs before we junk that one:

The trunk lock is gone and the button doesn't seem to work. We're going to switch out the locks from the Monte so there is a keyed set.

The Monte has one white mirror, ad the Lumina is white, so I'll hang on to that.

There was something else, but I'm really sleepy and I can't remember now what it was.

I have some questions for those of you who know more about this than I do:

1) The cruise doesn't work, and it doesn't seem to be a fuse. Where/what else can I check?

2) The shifter is kind of stiff. I imagine it's because the car sat in his garage for a long time. What/where can I lubricate this, or will it get better on it's own (I drive every day, so it WILL get used).

3) If this car originally had keyless, how can I tell? I saw there was an article, but it's for gen 1 cars (unless I misunderstood).

4) There is a weird connector hanging down from the dash, in front of the brake pedal. It's got two wires and it doesn't seem to have anything to connect to.

I really appreciate any and all advice I can get here. I need to learn about the car so I can keep it running as long as possible!

Welcome to a fellow MN member!

Check your cruise module under the hood mounted to the drivers' strut tower- make sure the electrical connector is plugged in and there are no broken vacuum lines anywhere.

For the shifter, you can try lubing the cable where it attaches to the shift linkage on the transmission and see if that changes anything. Otherwise, you'll have to go into the steering column to lube the shift lever and that end of the cable.