3.1 VS 3100

89oldscutlass

I have worked on both as well as driven cars with both in them and I cant see any HP difference in either. So this leads me to the opinion that GM must of underated the 3.1. My brother had a 2001 Malibu with the 3100 in it with roller rockers in cam in it and it didnt seem to have any better pull then a 3.1. Im not knocking either engine just curious what your all opinion is. :D

ive driven many cars with 3100's and owned my 3.1, factory I think the 3100 has a litte more pull but when you start equally moding both, the 3100 responds much better. difference I really see is the 3.1 takes a beating much better then the 3100 (head gaskets at 80k, lower intake leak, warping heads, etc.)

-Jeff

They did not under-rate the 3.1. There is a power difference. It's gained from the roller valvetrain, improved intake design, and most of all...the GEN III heads which flow much better than the GEN IIs.

The reason they feel the same is they both have the same torque, 180-something. The 3100 was 160 HP, then went up to 175 in the newer 3100s. Thats why they feel the same, but if you run two stock ones side-by side, the 3100 will win. 3.1L will probably get it off the line, though

Don't forget, there are more factors than just HP and torque that go into determing which car is faster. The gearing of the tranny, weight, etc. The 3100 over all should have a very slight edge on the 3.1 even though the torque is about the same. The intake is a better design vs. the flat 3.1 style plenum.

there must be something about the malibus that do this, my gfs malibu is slower than my cutlass with, and hers has the 3100 and mine has the 3.1, maybe a different transimssion and gear ratio or something? i really have no idea

well if your gunna only base it on numbers u still have the disadvantage. 140 to 155. there has to be something with the tranny, cuz these engines hate weight, my car almost stands still with 3 or more people in it, and i can notice a diff with just one other person or a heavy load. im almost sure malibus wiegh less than our cars, so that would def means its got and edge on us, but yets its slower? tranny

well if your gunna only base it on numbers u still have the disadvantage. 140 to 155. there has to be something with the tranny, cuz these engines hate weight, my car almost stands still with 3 or more people in it, and i can notice a diff with just one other person or a heavy load. im almost sure malibus wiegh less than our cars, so that would def means its got and edge on us, but yets its slower? tranny

I agree. My car feels very sluggish with more than two people in the car. Even with just one other person I notice a difference. In my previous car, a 3800 Bonneville, I wouldn't hardly notice any difference at all with several people inside.

my dad has a 3100 in his grand am, and i know it's probably not fair to compare the 2 cars because of the weight difference, but the cutty was so much slower it was almost embarassing. You can really feel the extra power in the higher rpm range. Where the 3.1 stops pulling the 3100 seems to keep going (around 4000 rpm and up).

my dad has a 3100 in his grand am, and i know it's probably not fair to compare the 2 cars because of the weight difference, but the cutty was so much slower it was almost embarassing. You can really feel the extra power in the higher rpm range. Where the 3.1 stops pulling the 3100 seems to keep going (around 4000 rpm and up).

My 3.1 pulls quite well through 2nd & 3rd even at high RPMs. :)

And weight does make a difference. I can't even chirp the tires on my GT with 1 or more "extra" people in the car. But I can smoke them pretty good when it's just me. Of course it would help if my tires didn't weight 70lbs a piece :roll: :roll: :roll:

Guest TurboSedan

a 3.1/5-speed pulls nicely from a stop thru the top of 2nd (about 45mph). when in 5th @ 75mph, i can downshift to 4th and get to 100mph pretty quick. 1st gear is so steep that i have to be careful not to go into tire spin or worse yet - wheel hop. i've smoked the tires all the way thru 1st gear once, and chirped them good into second. i haven't noticed too much of a difference in power with people in the car, but then again i don't hammer it when people are with me :P

joshua