which water pump?

brake

There are a whole mess of different brands of replacement water pumps listed on RockAuto. Are any of them garbage? Is one brand preferred?

I replaced my automatic tensioner and it turns out that the old weak one was masking a bad water pump :D The pulleys can't really wear out on these so I'm just going to replace the pump and call it a day.

A bit of play in the pulley when the belt is off but when running it's noticeable now that I have the good tensioner on there. Clickity clackity.

I must say that the design of this pump beats the one I had to replace on my 302. Stationary housing with removable center piece = good idea.

If you want to order from RockAuto get the Delco one listed for your car for like $20. If you want to just run down to the store go to Auto Zone and get a Duralast pump for the same price (plus you don't have to pay shipping). You also get a lifetime warranty on the pump if you go the AutoZone route...so if it happens to ever...free replacement!

The pumps have changed design over the years, so the one you are taking out will probably look different from the one you will put in. I had a Duralast pump in my old engine for about 40,000 miles until the engine blew up due to another reason - pump was an easy install and is the newer design. :thumbsup:

thanks gentlemen. i just grabbed one at the parts store so i could do it this weekend and not worry about the old wobbly pump flying off on me.

it's got a metal impeller with what seems to be casting lines. only 40 bucks.

haha, i didn't look at the instructions yet. it actually has a separate bright yellow notice that says it's an improved impeller design compared to OEM and it will look different and that it is nothing to worry about. :D

how much of the coolant will need to be drained/replaced? gotta know how much to buy because i won't have a ride to the store when it's time to refill and i don't have enough :D

Edited by brake

that was beyond easy. my instructor said I didn't need any sealant at all as long as it came with a gasket so I'm going with his advice on that one.

Had it done in about 2 hours and I was going slow - could probably cut it down to 45 minutes if I had to do it again.