3.1 to replace 3.4 in 03' Impala???

Unn_Impala13

Well, the other problem is spark tables and the transmission shift points/pressures are different. He's not just dealing with fuel, he's potentially dealing with power issues as well. The engine will start and it will run, just not as well as it should and might have a few hiccups. Only reason I'm saying this is because I'm looking at the tables for each OS right now :shrug:

You would know more than I then...I was just going off what I was told when I was considering an engine swap, and the only issue that was brought up to me was the fueling.

There are some people on this board that might be able to help him out with a retuned PCM if he can supply the parts, but I'll leave it up to them to make him the offer to help/name their price.

Might be fun, I'm not too far from there. I live On the edge of Knott-Perry County, just 50-ish miles from Pikeville.

6 hours if you drive slow. 4 1/2 - 5 if you drive fast! I'm in Durham, NC.

Well, the PCM is an identical part and is listed as an interchange for both cars...so connectors should be the same. In theory it might work..but you might need to bypass VATS? Not sure on Gen II W-Bodies and how VATS works on them (do they even have the stupid thing haha?). You would also need to get the VIN programmed at Chevy of course.

We're getting into territory here that I don't normally deal with though...PCM interchange between models.

Edited by ptcfast2

It may have it. I know there was some anti-theft device that was probably bypassed when the previous owner installed an aftermarket CD player. ^_^ So that does seem better than a Malibu-Impala interchange though?

But my key doesn't have a chip in it so maybe not. I just thought of that.

Edited by Unn_Impala13
Forgot something semi-important.

it should have VATS. the century weighs less then the impala though so the transmission shift timing could still be off. the century also has 3.05 final drive wile i think the impala uses 3.29 final drive

It may have it. I know there was some anti-theft device that was probably bypassed when the previous owner installed an aftermarket CD player. ^_^ So that does seem better than a Malibu-Impala interchange though?

Well crap I think you actually would have Passkey/Passlock now that I think about it. :lol: Honestly, I'm possibly off base a bit. I think VATS/Passlock/Passkey is BCM stuff (not PCM?).

What transmission model does the 03' century use?

Should be the 4T65-E just like the Impala 3.4 but the final drive ratios may indeed be different (different 4T65-E models were produced for different cars)

At this point, it seems you are better off trying to:

A) Find a 3.4

B) Getting the 3.1 and modifying the OS for the engine.

That does seem to be the case. Likely if it sounds rough, the mechanic may just find the 3.4. That site u sent me the link too is showing a 3.4 in West Liberty, which isn't too far from here at a yard where this mechanic usually gets part. I guess he may have missed it. He's a good mechanic though. Been a master mechanic for decades now. Though he is getting up in years. =_=

That does seem to be the case. Likely if it sounds rough, the mechanic may just find the 3.4. That site u sent me the link too is showing a 3.4 in West Liberty, which isn't too far from here at a yard where this mechanic usually gets part. I guess he may have missed it. He's a good mechanic though. Been a master mechanic for decades now. Though he is getting up in years. =_=

See what you can do. Getting a 3.4 is ideal. Getting a 3.1 will involve more work. At least you know some of the issues with engine model swapping now! :)

mhm, lol. At one point I looked into details on swapping out for a 3.8 but it would have needed exhaust and fuel lines from a 3.8 plus it would need the 4T65E-HD Transmission. Probably just as much work it seems. T_T

I shall, I think we're gonna see how it sounds and give it a test drive. The car should be out tomorow, but the mechanic said that if it ends up giving any issues he'd look for a 3.4 cause he doesn't have a way to reprogram the computer.

I shall, I think we're gonna see how it sounds and give it a test drive. The car should be out tomorow, but the mechanic said that if it ends up giving any issues he'd look for a 3.4 cause he doesn't have a way to reprogram the computer.

Most regular mechanics won't...you would need to find a tune shop somewhere. Places with dynos, custom fab, etc...

3.1 is running fine for the moment, no check engine light and no rough feel or shaking or anything. Power seems fine as well. Still need to get computer tuned when I get a chance.