New GM Quantum Warp Cores!!! :LINK:

gpse3200

personally, I am not too worried about it myself. In the even of America switching to metric, I can just press my E/M button, and the MPH turns to KPH, the *F turns to *C, gallons to litres, and all of the readouts are the same (8 bars of gas is the same in litres, and metric. It is still half of a tank). Granted, my ATC will be a little bit harder to decifer, but if it will not go any higher, than I know that is as hot as it goes, and if it doesn't go lower, then that is as cold as it gets. I am acoustomed to standard. I can sit and figure out metric. I don't have to figure out standard. If the great high supreme potentate of America desides that the country should change, then the country will change, but until that time comes, I think that the car companies should stick with standard. That is what America is currently using, and the nation has been talking about changing it for years now (but it has yet to happen). As long as American cars are still made with lug nuts and studs instead of wheel bolts, then I am not going to complain.

If you learned to be accustomed to the old English standard, you can learn to be accustomed to metric too. :read:

I don't believe in sticking with a crappy standard because people are used to it.

I have to translate metric to standard before it makes sense to me, but I know it's a crappy standard and I'll be more than happy to learn familiarity with metric.

I never said that I wouldn't or couldn't learn metric, infact I know most of it but it's not the norm for me or the US and it doesn't seem like its going to change over anytime soon, seems we hit a wall. Probably the main reason why other countries hate the U.S. LOLj/k. I'm sorry but it's odd to sit behind the wheel of a car when it's readouts are half this and half that and you need to concentrate. They don't even translate it in the manual for us stupid Americans:). Anyways I'd love metric if we were in Canada, but not here. Not unless the government tries to switch. Untill then I'll use what I know most and make the best of it so i don't confuse the living crap out of myself.

Audi could have at least used "H" & "L" or "C" & "H" LOLOL I'm willing to bet 95% of owners don't truly understand the values of oil pressure and temp...they just see "hey it's heading to red" or whatever...I get that description of a car's "temperature" from drivers of cars with numerical values on the gauge!

We are totally off topic here so before I stray too far away I have some things to clear up.

I too work on vehicles. I'm a professional detailer as well as an I-Car certified body technian and painter. Although I work on highway tractors and heavy trucks, I have worked on many cars as I used to work at a local GM dealership. I can tell you right now that GM's build quality has definitely seen improvement over the years but still lacks the quality control that European and Japanese manufacturers have. Put it this way, if GM's build quality isn't as good as Lexus, then it definitely won't be anything near an Audi. Audi's build quality on their interiors rival that of Mercedes-Benz and BMW. I'm not trying to make any claim that GM will never reach that point, because they certainly can. However, if they ever do reach the point of building high quality interiors you can expect to see the prices raise up all across the board. As far as ergonomic design and how you comfortable you feel in the interior, that all depends on the person. I'm only talking about the quality of the materials and the fit and finish of the interior pieces. The only reason why I ever brought up the subject of the build quality of GM's interiors is because it looks like they're willing to spend money on developing new engines so they may as well spend money on building better interiors. As I mentioned earlier, you spend all your time driving inside your car, not outside. You may as well enjoy the accomodations right? I don't know about you but I'd rather spend more money to enjoy my stay at a Four Seasons rather than staying at some dinky Days Inn. As for the Corvette, the Z06 belongs to the owner of the bodyshop and I drive it and work on it almost every day since he likes it kept very clean. I love the car and I hope I could afford one day, but as I mentioned earlier the interior panels feel far too

cheap for a car that costs $75,000+. The overall layout and design is excellent, the materials used are poor. I've worked on Hondas with better quality interiors. One thing I must say about the Z06 is that I love the gauges, the HUD and the 6-speed. I've never driven a 6-speed as precise as that, the closest gearbox to match the precision would be the Honda S2000. If GM paid as much attention to the rest of the car, then you would see what I'm talking about.

As far as initial build quality, a lot of it depends on the owner. Do you honestly think that a BMW will break down as often as a Ford? Obviously not. Forget the fact that most of us here hate Fords. Overall, if you compare a Lincoln LS to a BMW 3 Series I'm sure you'll agree that the BMW is built better. Obviously when a BMW breaks down, it is very expensive. What I mean to say is if you work on many German imports and you see them breaking down, especially newer models, it's probably because the owner didn't take care of their vehicle. These German imports usually require higher maintenance in order to keep them in excellent condition. The build quality of most German imports is still far better than a domestic. Period.

Like everyone else, I'm waiting for the new GM motors to come out so I can replace my aging '91 Regal GS. At the moment I'm considering replacing it with a '00 Regal GS. Either that or making all the repairs on my current Buick and keeping it until the new '04 redesigned Regal comes out.

BTW: Almost everything we do here is measured in metric because I live in Vancouver. It's actually not that difficult, you just get used to it. I feel the same way with having to convert to US measurements since they're not based on the decimal system.