Cutlass convertible replacement carpet

Aron Nance

Have been browsing a bit checking to see the availability of new replacement carpet for the new/old '94 Cutlass Supreme convertible. Can find it for the coupe, but no convertible. Any one had need in the past, and managed to find replacement?:think:

The carpet is slightly different as the rear slope of the rear floor is moved forward maybe two inches as a structural brace has been added. That said a regular carpet should still work, but would take some fighting or modification to work...

HOWEVER.... most aftermarket carpet is junk and lacks the thick backing and the factory sound deadening that factory carpet received. Actual cleaning of a carpet that is dirty but not worn out is pretty straightforward, but if the carpet must be replaced simply get a used carpet from a junkyard (coupe if need) and clean it to swap in. I would also consider adding sound deadening to the car under the carpet as well.

Every aftermarket carpet that I've used fit like hell. Typically, your vehicle has to have a pretty good following to get an aftermarket carpet to fit (classic vehicles come to mind).

As Nate suggested, I've done as well. If your carpet is worn through, find a carpet that isn't worn through, take it to the car wash or power washer, and go to town with it. If you need to dye it, I've successfully dyed the carpet in my old Z34 with Rit dye (the powder stuff that you mix up).

So what I am reading here...If I want to restore my floorboard ( that has not worn through) I should remove it....soap and water clean the heck out of it....Install fresh padding (sound deadening) and re-install...so far that is our best option for cutty vert's? that kinda sucks...I really was hoping for a fresh dark charcoal replacement....ohh well maybe one day...

Use a truck, and take the carpet to a car wash, or use a pressure washer. Regular soap and water won't get it 100%.

And, use rit dye with salt in water. When you do it, use a rag, and rub it into the carpet. I've done in on a full carpet, and several floormats, and it has worked great.

When I replaced my carpet in my coupe, I did what others suggested and took a good-condition JY carpet to a spray-n-wash.

$5, a blast of engine cleaner, soap, then a GOOD rinse later, it looked brand new.

• 2 weeks later...

I took nice carpet from a JY 4-door for my convertible. I used mine as a template for cutting the shifter hole. I used the car wash with 7 quarters and I should have used more. Takes a long time to dry it out even with a fan and it elevated off the floor. But, the price is right.