Overboosting

god910

It hasn't been a problem until I got the st, st, stutter fixed. Now, however, The boost cut is coming more freq. but it's nothing major and not too bad. Full throttle in 3rd is about the only time it does it. It'll goto 17 if you hold it. All vac. lines are fine I'm guessing the controller is going out. *scratches chin* Maybe time for a manual boost controller? (If I wasn't buying a house that would have been done yesterday. :wink: )

It falls off a VERY little, I'm probably going to get a grainger valve and see what it can do. I've heard bad things, but hell it's only ~$20, the chip really doesn't know what to do w/ that much boost (fuel and timing)

Very little? Shit, mine violently shakes the car when it peaks itself out. I've learned not to floor it in 5th on the highway otherwise it's topped the boost gauge out in 2 or 3 seconds. When it does that it cuts out like a big misfire. But it's fine once I let off the gas. So when I need to move in 5th, I give it gas while I watch the boost gauge. I only give it enough to keep the boost gauge around 12-14, then it's fine.

Did that make sense? :lol:

I haven't had a chance to get a good look at it since it went down with a bad alternatory, but my TSTE is doing the same thing. Except......IT DOES IT IN EVERY GEAR, EVERY TIME I FLOOR IT!!! :shock: Very aggrevating and I don't think that's normal, either. I've gotten it up and running now. But it's still doing the same thing, and it does have an odd problem (especially when it's cold) of power deing off in lower RPMs. I'll back her out of the parking space, and when I go forward, there's a normal burst of acceleration when I first step on the pedal, and then it drops of so that I have to step on the pedal harder to get it moving at the same speed again. With each time I press the pedal harder, it does the samething. Very annoying. Almost as annoying as the cut off problem.....especially when you're giving a Porsche Boxter a run for it's money and then the car falls flat on its face! :x

Beats the sheese out of me. It sounds like boost creap and the turbo falling on its face (efficiancy). Well I don't know. My brother has the same probem with his 87 turbo ford....well just recently. He had like 18-20psi (t3)and didn't have a problem...then all of a sudden..it acts like something pulls all the timming out or something....misfireing or something...or like too much gas...I don't know. It acted like this only when the inter cooler hose came loose and the turbo was over spining and the Flap meter was giving too much gas and such. Kind of like misfire.it fires but like at the wrong time...?????Then he droped the presure down back to 15psi (stock) and it spikes to 17 for a sec or two when punching it hard...and it does that shitty powerloss misfire...Not overboost...its not fuel cut.. And it never did that on stock boost..???? I guess it has to do with the unrrestricted exhaust and intake...???? We're going to mess with the Flap meater to give slightly less gas to see if it helps...OH yea...that knock sensor is on. Mybe I should disconect it.... :shock: maybe not.

Maybe you could shed some light here Jeff...you've been around turbos quite some time...does this happen to your truck?

Well we tried it with a loose spare knock sensor and it worked great...no bull timming...but we heard a ping or two in high boost high rpm.....we switched to the new knock sensor...and it almost went away...but its still there a little bit...could be the fuel...too rich.....

Well thats me....I don't know about you guys....I am still going to run a A/F guage with its own oxygen sensor just to be sure its the rich condition and not the turbo falling on efficiancy...or LOCKING.... :shock: