Best way to store my car

Guest RedCutlassSL

Guest RedCutlassSL

I leave for basic in about 18 days. My car is going into storage, coming out or 2 weeks during Xmas, then going back into storage for another 4 months roughly. Whats the best way to store it? What should I do?

clean it, get a car cover, add some fuel stabilizer or something and i think you can run some stuff in your engine that will produce ALOT of black smoke that cleans it out and prepares it for a long time of storage.

Hopefully you dont get fucked by the reserves like my cousin did. He went in February and got done in June (took mp training there) and expected to go to college in the fall and do the 2 weekends a month thing but instead he got sent to North Carolina and he's there until next spring atleast.

Dustin,

i agree with all above...espc. taking out the battery and the fuel stabalizer.

I also wanted to add, if possible, take of the tires, and put the car on jack stands. If you can, either stack the tires, or lay em out. If you dont, and the car sits to long, you can possibly get some annoying flat spots.

Are you going to be able to park it in a garage? Then, it would be fine to do all this. If its going to be sitting outside...you may just want to have someone drive it arround a few minutes every week.

Ive never done any of this, never had to store mine. But on the Dakota stuff for Debs truck, many of them store there trucks in their garrage over winter, then bring out a beater. All of them are stored without tires or wheels on

jon

Dustin,

i agree with all above...espc. taking out the battery and the fuel stabalizer.

I also wanted to add, if possible, take of the tires, and put the car on jack stands. If you can, either stack the tires, or lay em out. If you dont, and the car sits to long, you can possibly get some annoying flat spots.

Are you going to be able to park it in a garage? Then, it would be fine to do all this. If its going to be sitting outside...you may just want to have someone drive it arround a few minutes every week.

Ive never done any of this, never had to store mine. But on the Dakota stuff for Debs truck, many of them store there trucks in their garrage over winter, then bring out a beater. All of them are stored without tires or wheels on

jon

i was going to suggest that but i wasn't sure if 4 months was long enough to go threw the trouble

if you store it out side get a cover and covers for your wheels and tires

covers for the wheels and tires might keep dry rot from happening from the UV rays

id jack up the car, just to be safe. If your going through the trouble to prep it, why not do this too?

also, you may wanan throw those dryer sheets in the interior too. Keep it smelling fresh.

Lastly, when you do get back, clean the hell out of it. Espc. the interior (may be kinda muggy).

Jon

When I store my GT over the winter (5 months) I do these things:

-Wash the car

-Cover the car

-Place the car on jack stands and remove the tires. Keeps the tires from getting flat spots and takes some weight off of the suspension.

-Make sure the tank is full, and dump a can of ISO-HEET in it.

-Check to make sure that the battery fluid level is good.

-Place a trickle charger on the battery.

And the big money saver....reduce my insurance from full coverage to comprehensive coverage (wind, fire, theft). 8)

That's about it. I haven't had any problems doing it that way so far. :D