Carpet Replacement

j_mezz

I think I'm going to break down and buy a new one carpet for my 96 cutlass and thought I'd put it out here...anybody done it before and have a suggestion on a vendor There's a couple of them listed on E-bay but I'm sure some are probably better than others...?

Consensus seems to be get a good used carpet from the junkyard and clean it. There are a few threads about cleaning the carpet. Ive never seen aftermarket carpet fit right and I'm pretty sure members on here will agree with me.

Ha, I was waiting for That question. It was a little grungy to begin with, then, ummm, it....got a little wet. Someone (yeah, ok, it was me) left the window open in a terrential downpour. Some places on Long Island had 10", fortunately not here. Here it was only about 2"...according to the puddle on my floor. So I did the smart thing and pulled it out to let it dry. I just figured while it was out anyway I'd replace it. There aren't any holes in it, it's just pretty gross right now. The thought of letting it dry and then steam-cleaning it did cross my mind but I figured - work that had to be done + $150 = new car smell. Someone must make a decent carpet, no?

I'm planning to pull my carpet and clean it. Then paint it. While my interior is out.

Power wash with some dish soap. To remove grease. Then get a wet vac and vacuum it really good. Wait for it to dry. Then paint.

Yeah me personally I'd just pull it and clean it really good. Then if it still doesn't look great you can always redye it. Otherwise I doubt you'll get anything decent that fits perfect.

You will not be happy with aftermarket carpet. I always pull my carpet and take it up to the car wash. Pressure wash with soap and rinse, then set it out to dry for a couple of days. Comes out real nice.

Wow, I'm surprised everyone's against replacement. I had the carpet in my 94 vert replaced when I had the top re-done and the carpet fits pretty good. I already sent him an email asking where he got it from (accmats.com) but I'll clean mine up and see how it looks....and smells. Thanks for the input!

I happen to own a car that has a replacement aftermarket carpet in it. This is a high quality aftermarket from an unknown vendor, but the car is much noisier than it would be if it had a stock carpet in it...:confused: it has a decent fit and finish otherwise... but I have seen absolutely shitty aftermarket carpets by comparison.

I subscribe the the wash a used one principal. I basically hang the carpet on a fence and go at it with dish soap, a hose and a scrub brush until it runs clean... then let dry for a few days. new car smell, no, but the stink on quite a few carpets has disappeared... including a carpet from a 91 ciera that had mold growing on the passenger floor board cause the window had no seal... use seal installed and the carpet clean and that car was great inside...

You probably could have found decent aftermarket stuff back in the day (or even some that's been replaced could have even been NOS from GM?) but I'm thinking now you've probably got slim pickings...