What type of spark plug is best for a 3.4 dohc

dkas

NAPA Belden plug wires, lifetime replacement.(keep the receipt)

I run those double platinum Autolites from Wal-Mart. I stay away from Champion, seen so many quality issues(misset welded ground electrodes, distorted warped ceramics, and Chrysler corp recommends them in their vehicles, probably because they are cheap.)

Edited by Oilpatch197

Not long ago, RockAuto.com was clearancing the OEM LQ1 plug wires....I bought a set myself, and put them away...less than $60.00.

1. If you're buying Autolites, look at the box and see where they're made. I used to love Autolite plugs...until they moved production to Communist China.

2. Champion plugs had the most brittle porcelain in the industry at the point where I quit buying them. They may be better now--but probably not. I haven't bought one for a decade or two.

3. If there's an Iridium option, you might consider that. The A/C Iridium plugs in my Trailblazer had 92,000 miles on 'em when I pulled 'em out...and even though I'd already bought new plugs, the originals looked so perfect I screwed 'em right back in.

4. I won't buy carbon-core replacement plug wires any more. I've been buying the helical-wound wires for years. Far less resistance but retains the RFI suppression.

5. Are you sure you NEED new wires? Both of my 3.4s are still using the originals (125,000 miles and 150,000 miles; '92 and '93 respectively)

With all of the different designs of whoever makes this...or that (Platinum, Iridium Titanium), I still use the regular AC Delco R42LTSM plug.

That's the plug that was in place when the engine was designed. They have never let me down. I change them every 50,000miles (85,000kms).

Given their durability...why purchase anything else?

I only use Delco high tension wires.

Edited by 55trucker

With all of the different designs of whoever makes this...or that (Platinum, Iridium Titanium), I still use the regular AC Delco R42TSM plug.

That's the plug that was in place when the engine was designed. They have never let me down. I change them every 50,000miles (85,000kms).

Given their durability...why purchase anything else?

I only use Delco high tension wires.

I agree, however there have been great strides in the igniter industry, and some would like to use the latest technology. Kinda strange, how after-market spark plugs are the "latest and greatest", and seems like after-market plug wires are going "super crappy cheap".

Probably due to OEM spark plug wires now lasting the life of the car, causing a lack of demand of replacements, soon spark plugs may *never* have to be changed.

I would have thought by this time spark plugs would be OBSOLETE and everyone would be running glow plugs.(think turbo diesels)

I also thought ten years ago we would all be running direct injection into the cylinders by now... the tech is lagging.

There is a lot of HYPE in the spark plug industry, which is good. Does anyone run split fires anymore?:lol:

Nice.

Where would you buy a plug that emits a yellow spark? Or green?

You just need a bad coil and any spark plug will do yellow! green might be a Little tricky! lol