wiring 2010 CVX12 D4

Jprice90

wiring it to 2 ohm, i got pos pos neg neg, but now with wiring it from sub to amp, how would i do that? :think:..i've only wired dvc 2ohm sub down to 4, and im not sure about doin 2, im thinkin i wired this sub wrong

Turn the gain down. You are probably clipping the bejeezus out of it.

X2.

However, if you're already smelling a burned voice coil, you've already done a good amount of damage.

Another method of testing your ohm load:

Hook wires to both sides of your speaker. Then put them into a wall outlet. If you have it right, the speaker will move briefly, then stop.

Another method of testing your ohm load:

Hook wires to both sides of your speaker. Then put them into a wall outlet. If you have it right, the speaker will move briefly, then stop.

:lol:

speaker has less then an hr on it, doubt it has any damage..probably got ripped off again on ebay, the listing said "brand new", i got a message from the seller saying he was sending a brand new sub not a refurb one, so i was confused because the listing said brand new..shouldve tested the coils before i threw it in like i usually do, the one coil is reading different

and i didnt think that was funny.

speaker has less then an hr on it, doubt it has any damage..probably got ripped off again on ebay, the listing said "brand new", i got a message from the seller saying he was sending a brand new sub not a refurb one, so i was confused because the listing said brand new..shouldve tested the coils before i threw it in like i usually do, the one coil is reading different

and i didnt think that was funny.

That being said, you shouldn't have been smelling the voice coil either way. If the sub was good, the cone should have been able to move freely with you pushing down on it, and there should have been no abnormal noises.

If you're 100% sure the seller sent you a bad item, paypal buyer protection is on your side. Otherwise, chalk it up as a learning experience and watch the gains next time.

there is no abnormal noises, and you can press it down..which means the coils are good, i tested them, theyre good.4.2 is what theyre reading

so i put it back in, and backed the gain down a little bit..it sounds better, i mightve been clipping it a little bit

Are u sure you were smelling a coil burning and not just the natural smell of a new sub? If you were playing it too loud right out of the box it WILL stink. You have to keep it low for a few hours before hammering down. She's gotta break in man!

Are u sure you were smelling a coil burning and not just the natural smell of a new sub? If you were playing it too loud right out of the box it WILL stink. You have to keep it low for a few hours before hammering down. She's gotta break in man!

Good point. I actually got my IDMax back with a recone from Image Dynamics about a month ago, and they recommended I go easy on it for the first 1-2 weeks to let it break in. The glue on the coil needs to get hot and cool down a few times to properly cure. You can't just cram it to its max volume the moment you open the box, or you'll risk ruining it.

theres people that slam em right outta the box lol..i kept it low for a little bit, then cranked it lol..theres no smells at all with the gain turned down a hair...what did you do to the ID Xtreme to have to get it reconed? lol

Leave it turned down for a week or so, after that, if you want, turn it back up to see if it just needed to be broken in. If you still smell it then, then you are clipping.

theres people that slam em right outta the box lol..i kept it low for a little bit, then cranked it lol..theres no smells at all with the gain turned down a hair...what did you do to the ID Xtreme to have to get it reconed? lol

The original cone had a dust cap leak. It was an assembly defect since those are sealed with permanent glue in 3 different spots, so its impossible for them to leak. They sent me a re-cone kit. You can literally recone an IDMax and IDQ driver in 15 minutes with nothing more than a screwdriver. Pretty awesome subwoofer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMFmzO8kT4U

Anyways, I put the new cone in and had some trouble aligning the spider. I ran it for a while, and the spider failed, so I said fuck it, I'm sending it back to ID. Keep in mind, I got it used and ID took responsibility for the problem without once asking me for proof of purchase, where I got it, or when. They reconed it and sent it back to me, and the new cone they put on is perfect, no defects anywhere.

Edited by xtremerevolution

Most of the smaller sub companies (ID, DD, AQ, DC, Fi) recommend you break in your subs for a bit. Some people swear by it, some don't. Personally I take it easy on them for a week, whether they be used or new.

i dont know about ID, but all them other brands are great..every company recommends you break them in though.

i always wanted a DD, DC or AQ though.

ID has always made subs geared more for SQ. We're talking competition winning SQ subs. DD subs are mostly SPL, and lots of it, but they all need a break-in. Some subs like the Fi-Q have a very stiff suspension during the break-in period and need to be broken in, but they all need to be broken in regardless to let the glue on the coil to cure properly.

SSA is a company that's also been making incredibly nice subwoofers, all made in the USA too. I've never personally liked the Fi subs I've heard. They're not bad, but even the Fi Q has a fairly heavy moving mass that doesn't do well for transient response.

ohh yeahh thats true lol..youre right DD are all SPL. i checked out some of the SSA's..nice stuff..being made in the USA is always a good thing, didnt know that, maybe i wouldve bought a SSA in of a Kicker :roll:..i heard a FI-Q 12 before, it sounded pretty good..but i dont think i would own one, arent they real power hungry? and i was looking at older posts, seem like you know alot about audio bro :thumbsup: