Wonky sunroof!

crazyd

Every summer I try to fix my crazy sunroof, and every summer it still does the same thing. It almost always opens UP. But when I try to close it, it takes three or more button presses for it to close. And when I try to get it to slide back, it has to drop down and close up twice before it will slide back - if it does at all, which is rarely.

I've replaced the switch and I've replaced its little controller board. What else is there??

Mine will always slide back and then slide forward, but a lot of the time wont go into vent mode, but when it does will close just fine :thinking: I grabbed a spare switch last weekend at the junkyard, I didn't know anything about a controller board...?

Sounds like you've got the same problem in reverse, doubt that switch will fix it...

I kinda figured that, which is why I haven't put it in yet. Maybe just a wire rubbed through or something

Although that switch you have in the car doesn't look too great anyways with how loose it is. It probably wouldn't be that bad to have a new one anyways.

I did on my old '94 sedan. I'm willing to bet money it's the sunroof relays.

Go to the junkyard, and find a couple of GP's with a sunroof. Yank the headliner, and harvest the wiring with the little relays. That wiring harness with the relays has connectors on both ends IIRC. Get a couple of them, and install them on yours. I say get a couple of different ones because you could pull one with the same failed relays.

Scoured the junkyard today and found a couple Eldos with a sunroof, an Aurora, and a '98 GP with HUD, but I doubt any of them would've had compatible wiring. Even found a '95 with a manual sunroof, which must've been aftermarket.

I think I've still got my old harness somewhere, is it repairable?

• 1 year later...

Bringing this one back, I've been checking the yards around here every time I go and have had a tough time finding the replacement relay box. I found a similar one in a Saturn, but it didn't work. If anyone comes across one let me know, it barely works now.

If relays are the problem, you could always open the relays and fix them. Most people don't think to open them, but usually they come apart using a small flathead screwdriver and are really easy to clean any oxidation or burnt spots off the contacts. I always repair relays rather than replace them.

You might also check the condition of the limit switches. I have a vague memory of my sunroof not working right due to crud in one of the limit switches. I cleaned it out with a pin and that fixed it.

On the driver side of the opening about halfway should be a plastic assembly with 2 phillips screws. There is a little nub that sticks out on the side. There should be a little silver metal plunger thing sticking out of it about 2mm.

Aftermarket moonroof is inferior to factory by a long shot. I'd sooner do without, if it was me. I personally have a thing against sunroofs, in general they break, leak, and when they break its always in the open position, even though mine is still working('92 regal OEM sunroof) I expect it to "go" at anytime! Can't expect much more out of a twenty year old vehicle, EH.:lol:

Now hold on a minute. I don't believe it's an "aftermarket" in the sense that it was installed after delivery. This retracts into the roof and has a sunshade built into the headliner, as well as an ASC manufacturer statement sticker on the door jamb. It was clearly engineered into the car, just installed at ASC St. Louis after being built. I assumed that was just how they were doing them back then.

That's how the dealer-installed ones get installed, but factory units are completely different. The factory unit can't be installed aftermarket, because the hole is stamped into the roof sheetmetal itself and there is no border around the opening. I don't believe factory units use any parts from ASC either, I've never seen any evidence of ASC anything on any of the factory moonroof parts.

That's how the dealer-installed ones get installed, but factory units are completely different. The factory unit can't be installed aftermarket, because the hole is stamped into the roof sheetmetal itself and there is no border around the opening. I don't believe factory units use any parts from ASC either, I've never seen any evidence of ASC anything on any of the factory moonroof parts.

Yes, the hole is stamped into the sheetmetal and is fully recessed, and it has no border on the opening. There's no way this could be a dealer-installed unit. I have also taken the sunroof seal from a '94 GP in a junkyard with a factory sunroof to replace my old one, and it was exactly the same. Actually, I've got an idea - does anyone know the RPO code for the sunroof so I can check my build sheet?

Edited by crazyd

Yes, the hole is stamped into the sheetmetal and is fully recessed, and it has no border on the opening. There's no way this could be a dealer-installed unit. I have also taken the sunroof seal from a '94 GP in a junkyard with a factory sunroof to replace my old one, and it was exactly the same. Actually, I've got an idea - does anyone know the RPO code for the sunroof so I can check my build sheet?

If it has the stamped hole, then I don't believe it could be aftermarket or dealer-installed, but if it's an ASC, that's an aftermarket company. Strange. Got pics?