Steering wheel controls on 1991 Buick Regal Limited

lionelc305

Hello.

Sorry to ask, but I need help concerning the steering wheel controls on my 1991 Buick Regal Limited.

I have removed the steering wheel to fix the tilt lever.

After what I have replaced the steering wheel. But now the radio control doesn't work well. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. And sometimes the radio shut off by itself.

Do you know if there is someting special to do before or after replacing the steering wheel?

Thanks for the help you could give me.

Hi there lionel and welcome to the site,

Your issue can be caused by a few possible problems. First of all, was this a steering wheel from a junk yard that you replaced your old wheel with? If it was, try using the pad with the buttons from your old steering wheel. The buttons in the replacement pad might be damaged or gummed up up. Secondly, If that still does not work, take note, that in order for the steering wheel to make contact with the radio, and still be able to turn, the contacts must use a plastic metal tracked contact cam underneath the wheel that might even be below the wheel locking ring. Usuallly changing the steering wheel can cause dirt to get caught in that cam and, it is usually recommended that you remove the wheel and locking ring to get to the cam and remove it and clean each track and contact with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip then reinstall. If there is still an issue, You may need to replace the radio reciever box and main module located in the dash board. Lastly, if there is still an issue, take note that these radios still used the E&C data buss in order to recieve their communication and commands from the steering wheel. The command module is located below the steering column in the dash board. It is very rare for the module to malfunction, however, the best way that you can have it checked out is to take the car to a GM dealer.

I hope this helps.

Starflare5.

Edited by Starflare5
Spell Check