1997 Lumina LS 3.1L, 120k, love it, want to keep for at least 3 more years

jfederline

Greets all,

Found this forum from google, thought I'd sign up to learn more about keeping my Lumina running for a while. I received it as a gift a few years ago from a late family member who quit driving. In addition to this 97 Lumina LS 3.1 with 120,xxx miles, I also own a 99 Silverado LS Z71 with 221,xxx miles, which I also don't want to part with! I keep my vehicles based on how well they motate me for what I want to do - I'm not a brand loyalist, but I prefer GM's, I don't care about color, rust, etc... just reliability, performance and comfort.

I love driving this car - its smooth, powerful, comfy, reliable. I've known this car its whole life, so I trust it. It's had almost zero problems, the largest was the transmission pump shaft shortly after I received it with 85,xxx miles, which I had fixed at a tranny shop. That was over 2 years ago.

Since then, I've accumulated a few things that I wish to learn more about fixing on it to make owning it more happy. I am a gearhead, but I'm also busy, and real involved repairs I will pay someone to do, even if I am sure I can do it - but I still want to understand everything involved in a repair so I am in the loop.

I need to keep this car for at least 3 more years - which I should not be a problem with proper care. But I don't want perfection either, just safety and reliability with reasonable comfort.

Here's my "fixit wish list" - maybe there's some inside info or community knwoledge to help me order/prioritize and plan out these fixes. If I should post these in another forum(s) let me know, please!

HIGH PRIORITY - rear suspension: Need to replace rear struts, one is popped, jiggles all over the highway on bumps. Fronts feels fine. If just the rear be replaced, can an alignment be skipped? If can't skip alignment, does it make more sense to replace all four and do a 4-wheel?

MED PRIORITY - ABS sensors, front - had em fixed twice, go out within a month or two each time. I'm old school and don't mind not having ABS, but would be nice in winter, I admit. What gives with front ABS sensors on this car?

MED PRIORITY - OBD code, evap cannister, came and went for past year, now doesn't go away, always on. Quick fix? If not, I'm not much interested in caring about this... I just want the check engine lite to stay cleared so I know when to check something else more important.

LOW PRIORITY - heater/AC under engine load: Up modest hills, and under harder accel, HVAC blower gets routed to floor. This reminds me of vacuum A/C turn-offs from the 70's GM's, should this thing be so touchy? I mean, overdrive, 60MPH, very slight but long grade upward, and I'm baking cause A/C quit blowing on me. :-(

LOW PRIORITY - A/C coolant charge: I have to add a can or two of coolant every year. Can't find leak with dye. I don't mind adding every year, but wonder if eventually this indicates a problem that will mean a full A/C system repair? If no known problems, I can live with it vs big A/C repair.

LOW PRIORITY - Heat: I live in MN. It gets cold. Are these things known to be cold blooded, its like the wrong thermostat is in this thing, it takes 15-20 miles for the cabin to warm up nicely on cold days. Any usual suspects here, or do I just keep living with it?

I love this car, and so do my passengers - the front seat reclining almost totally flat on long trips is a popular feature. :-)

Any help making my time with "Snowball" (it is white... in MN...) more pleasant is appreciated!

Cheers!

-Jim

• 2 weeks later...

HIGH PRIORITY - rear suspension: Need to replace rear struts, one is popped, jiggles all over the highway on bumps. Fronts feels fine. If just the rear be replaced, can an alignment be skipped? If can't skip alignment, does it make more sense to replace all four and do a 4-wheel?

you should be fine without an alignment, but if you do feel you need one, a four wheel is your only option as no place will only do a rear wheel alignment

MED PRIORITY - ABS sensors, front - had em fixed twice, go out within a month or two each time. I'm old school and don't mind not having ABS, but would be nice in winter, I admit. What gives with front ABS sensors on this car?

sounds like you are buying cheap sensors, common to have cheap parts turn out to be junk... I would try getting a different brand

MED PRIORITY - OBD code, evap cannister, came and went for past year, now doesn't go away, always on. Quick fix? If not, I'm not much interested in caring about this... I just want the check engine lite to stay cleared so I know when to check something else more important.

LOW PRIORITY - heater/AC under engine load: Up modest hills, and under harder accel, HVAC blower gets routed to floor. This reminds me of vacuum A/C turn-offs from the 70's GM's, should this thing be so touchy? I mean, overdrive, 60MPH, very slight but long grade upward, and I'm baking cause A/C quit blowing on me. :-(

sounds normal actually but it wouldnt hurt to check in front of the left front wheel for a little vacuum ball, if you dont see one, you may need it

LOW PRIORITY - A/C coolant charge: I have to add a can or two of coolant every year. Can't find leak with dye. I don't mind adding every year, but wonder if eventually this indicates a problem that will mean a full A/C system repair? If no known problems, I can live with it vs big A/C repair.

in order to see the dye, you have to get a special pair of glasses, if you still cant find it, it may be at the evaporator inside the car

LOW PRIORITY - Heat: I live in MN. It gets cold. Are these things known to be cold blooded, its like the wrong thermostat is in this thing, it takes 15-20 miles for the cabin to warm up nicely on cold days. Any usual suspects here, or do I just keep living with it?

try throwing in a new thermostat

See bold, and welcome to the forums

I've had my Lumina for 5 years now and it's still running strong! Glad you're enjoying it! I live in Michigan, so it can get pretty cold in the winter as well. I have noticed also that it takes a while for the cabin to heat up...about 15 minutes or so until you're comfortable (but I like it warm)...so I think they're all like that. A new thermostat can't hurt though, just in case. :shrug: