L'il Ole Lady's Cutlass

ajsfirehawk

Hi Gang, long time car guy, first time W body guy. Aunt's mom can't drive and we picked up her 1992 Cutlass Supreme SL 2 door with a hair short of 20K miles on it. She is a sweetie and I'm thinking after some shocks/struts it is going to be a ball. Heads up display, sunroof, leather, luggage rack, lots of goodies. Its only been driven 130 miles in the last 4 years. Which happens to be the last time the oil was changed. Anyway, if work relents a bit, I'm starting to go through it and get it checked out. About an inch of dust on everything, purrs like a kitty kat with the 3.4 DOHC and the OD auto trans. Brakes are kind of mushy, so I'll swap the fluid, I might even swao the rubber lines at each wheel. It has climate control and the digital dash but didn't seem to have heat, so I'll be snooping around to see what is happening there. I'll get some pics up this weekend. Good looking site, glad to join.

post-6084-143689064532_thumb.jpg

post-6084-143689064545_thumb.jpg

post-6084-143689064559_thumb.jpg

Edited by ajsfirehawk

The mushy pedal is pretty much how all of the first gen cars are... Swapping the brake booster will help... I would imagine that a coolant flush would really help that heat issue... Looking forward to pics!

The coffee is beginning to soak in so I'll be getting out in the garage before too long. Needs a bath. It has 5 years of dust on it even though it was garaged. Inside and out.

Lets see if I can manage to upload an image. Yesterday didn't go as planned so I didn't get to clean up the car. My 8 foot craftsman workbench should have taken less than thirty minutes to assemble, but when 6 of the 18 holes don't line up just exactly right...it becomes a 3 hour project. Rainy headed for snowy today, but thought I would add a quick pick. Granny rubbed the left front bumper on the garage door. Looks like half of it will rub out. post-6084-143689063829_thumb.jpg

Thanks, with a little time and better weather I'll take the Griots buffer to it. The paint should really pop. Then I'll get some better pics. It started making a squeal up front in the driveway today. I suspect the water pump didn't like sitting for four years. Could also be the tensioner, but that will wait until it quits raining.

Thanks Gang. Just finished a couple afternoons of work on the Cutlass. Belt tensioner started squeaking after the initial drive home. Swapped the tensioner assembly, belt, swapped the oil, filter, fixed a leaking tranny cooler line, new fuel filter, cleaned it within an inch of its life and it is looking and driving much better now. I'm afraid the tires are original GM issue and 20 years old, big safety concern, so it is going to get new shoes. Looking good, found a few more scratches and dings typical of an oldster's car. But it is a sweetheart to be sure. Going to be my son's and his new fiance's car. They need one desparately, so instead of a big wedding they are getting a 'new' 92 Cutlass to launch their lives.

i was expecting an international with all those options...pleasantly surprised...

Yeah I was thinking the same thing...especially with the luggage rack and climate control.

Since it sat so long I would suggest draining ALL fluids. Coolant, oil, trans fluid....the works.

That's a damn nice Cutty, I hope your son and his finacee appreciate and take care of it.