IAC O-Ring

joeld

Ok, thank you for clearing that up for me. I don't know why I have a tendency to take things and make them confusing...perhaps it's lack of sleep, I am getting tired...lol:lol:

could be on my end too..I am going on very little sleep...guess if we ever work on a car together we better be rested! lol good luck with the car!

Isn't the 1.5 gen OBD2?

This term "1.5" simply means the car has a combination of OBD 1 ECM and a OBD 2 connector. During the years 1994 and 1995 GM was in the process of changing over to all OBD 2 ECM's. Just like most other car companies.

Example: My 1994 Buick is "1.5". It has a OBD 1 computer but has a OBD 2 connector

My 1995 Grand Prix is a full OBD 1 computer and connector.

And there are lots of other GM models with this same set-up.

1996 was full OBD 2.

Joel

could be on my end too..I am going on very little sleep...guess if we ever work on a car together we better be rested! lol good luck with the car!

Bah ha ha, that would be interesting though!:lol:

And thanks for clarifying Joel! :thumbsup: I guess I didn't really know what the generations meant, I thought like body style or something... I just know which cars are which generations.

mmm, not quite a good definition of OBD1.5...

the classic definition is using a flash only PCM while transmitting a datastream of OBD1 specs, the ALDL/DLC connector has nothing to do with it. as far as W-bodies go, only the 93-95 3100s are OBD1.5, the 94-95 LQ1 and 94-95 L27 are both MEMCAL equipped PCMs.

Robert:

That surprises me.. my '95 Cutlass LQ1 has an ALDL, but the codes it displays are the newer "P" codes, rather than the old GM 2-digit codes. I was under the impression this, too was OBD 1.5.

Does that mean my '95 LQ1 is tuneable?

correct, it has a MEMCAL and i've made a definition for the 94-95 LQ1 cars.

the code format didn't really come out when OBD2 did, hell the late 80s reattas used Bxxx codes like are used today, the SAE just liked GM's way of doing things so they made their idea a standard for 1996.

I had no idea! Sounds interesting. I'd like your thoughts on recommendations for my '95, but don't want to hijack the thread.

A suggestion for the original poster, the IAC is pretty much the same, as far as external dimensions on a ton of cars...I'd bet a jukyard would GIVE you one.

hmm..... i know the 3800 cars had a few different styles of IACs(some pintles had 2 facets, some had 3, etc), though all of the 60V6 ones SHOULD be the same, but ideally grab one from or for an identical motor (IE, any 93-99 3100) if you want to be 100% certain (or do a rockauto interchange lookup :thumbsup:)

Galaxie: PM me for more info. ;)

So I took my IAC out just to check the o-ring...damned if I couldn't get it back in! Don't know why, just had a hard time...little wiggling and I got it back. Scared me though! :lol: