Any info on changing series 2 3800 head gaskets

Drummer

I think either the intake let go or the head gaskets went since one of my cylinders was kinda filled with antifreeze. Monte Carlo has 144 thousand on it.

L36 or L67? If it's an L36, Id say that the upper intake gasket went & upper plenum warped....wich will cause coolant to leak from the 2 little coolant ports that go up into the upper plenum to get down into the cylinders and cause the motor to hydro lock. It's very rare (but possible) for 3800 head gaskets to go.

Anyways, as for changing the head gaskets....I believe there are writeups about it on Club GP.

99 MC with 3.8 Alldata write up

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnect/Connect Procedure in Starting and Charging.

2. Remove the fuel injector sight shield.

3. Remove the drive belt. Refer to Drive Belt Replacement.

4. Drain the engine coolant from the cooling system. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System in Cooling System.

5. Remove the generator.

6. Disconnect the three-way catalytic converter from the right exhaust manifold.

7. Remove the engine mount struts. Refer to Engine Mount Strut Replacement (Left) and Engine Mount Strut Replacement (Right).

8. Rotate the engine forward for access.

9. Remove the drive belt tensioner. Refer to Drive Belt Tensioner Replacement.

10. Remove the power steering pump. Refer to Power Steering Pump Replacement in Steering.

11. Remove the heater hoses from the engine. Refer to Heater Hoses Replacement in Heating and Air Conditioning.

12. Remove the right spark plug wires.

13. Remove the right spark plugs.

14. Disconnect the oxygen sensor electrical connector.

15. Carefully remove the throttle body air inlet duct.

16. Disconnect the throttle and cruise control cables. Refer to Accelerator Controls Cable Replacement in Powertrain Management.

17. Disconnect the electrical connector from the throttle vacuum line.

18. Remove the fuel rail. Refer to in Fuel Rail Assembly Replacement in Powertrain Management.

19. Remove the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve shield bracket bolt and nut.

20. Remove the EGR valve shield bracket.

21. Remove the EGR valve nuts.

22. Remove the EGR valve.

23. Remove the EGR valve outlet pipe bolt and nut.

24. Remove the EGR valve outlet pipe.

25. Remove the EGR valve adapter bolt from the right exhaust manifold.

26. Remove the EGR valve adapter bolts from the right cylinder head.

27. Remove the EGR valve adapter from the right cylinder head.

28. Remove the upper intake manifold. Refer to Intake Manifold Replacement (Upper).

29. Remove the engine lift hook.

30. Remove the exhaust crossover pipe. Refer to Exhaust Crossover Replacement.

31. Remove the right exhaust manifold. Refer to Exhaust Manifold Replacement (Right Rear).

32. Remove the right valve rocker arm cover. Refer to Valve Rocker Arm Cover Replacement (Right Rear).

33. Remove the right rocker arms and push rods. Refer to Valve Rocker Arm and Push Rod Replacement

34. Remove the cylinder head bolts. Discard the cylinder head bolts.

35. Remove the cylinder head.

36. Remove the cylinder head gasket.

37. Remove the springs, the caps, the seals, and the valves from the cylinder head. Refer to Cylinder Head Disassemble.

38. Clean the mating surfaces on the cylinder head, cylinder block and the intake manifold.

39. Clean the cylinder block bolt hole threads. Repair the threads if necessary.

40. Inspect the engine block. Refer to Engine Block Clean and Inspect.

41. Inspect the cylinder head. Refer to Cylinder Head Clean and Inspect.

Installation Procedure

Notice: Refer to Engine Emission Notice in Service Precautions.

- Tools Required

* J 36660 Electronic Torque Angle Meter

1. Install the springs, the caps, the seals, and the valves to the cylinder head. Refer to Cylinder Head Assemble.

Notice: Head gaskets are not interchangeable. The head gasket must be installed with the arrow pointing to the front of the engine. Installing the head gasket in any other direction will cause gasket failure and possible engine failure.

2. Position the head gasket with the arrow pointing to the front of the engine.

3. Install the cylinder head.

Notice: This bolt is designed to permanently stretch when tightened. The correct part number fastener must be used to replace this type of fastener. Do not use a bolt that is stronger in this application. If the correct bolt is not used, the parts will not be tightened correctly. The system or the components may be damaged.

Notice: This engine uses special torque to yield head bolts. This design bolt requires a special tightening procedure. Failure to follow the given procedure will cause head gasket failure and possible engine damage.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

4. Install the new cylinder head bolts.

4.1. Tighten the cylinder head bolts in sequence to 50 Nm (37 ft. lbs.).

4.2. Rotate each cylinder head bolt 120 degrees in sequence. Use the J 36660.

5. Install the right push rods and rocker arms. Refer to Valve Rocker Arm and Push Rod Replacement

6. Install the right valve rocker arm cover. Refer to Valve Rocker Arm Cover Replacement (Right Rear).

7. Install the right exhaust manifold. Refer to Exhaust Manifold Replacement (Right Rear).

8. Install the exhaust crossover pipe. Refer to Exhaust Crossover Replacement.

9. Install the engine lift hook.

10. Install the upper intake manifold. Refer to Intake Manifold Replacement (Upper).

11. Install the EGR valve adapter to the right cylinder head.

12. Install the EGR valve adapter bolts to the right cylinder head.

o Tighten the EGR valve adapter bolts to 50 Nm (37 ft. lbs.).

13. Install the EGR valve adapter bolt to the right exhaust manifold.

o Tighten the EGR valve adapter bolt to 29 Nm (21 ft. lbs.).

14. Install the EGR valve outlet pipe.

15. Install the EGR valve outlet pipe bolt and nut.

o Tighten the EGR valve outlet pipe bolt and nut to 29 Nm (21 ft. lbs.).

16. Install the EGR valve.

17. Install the EGR valve nuts.

o Tighten the EGR valve nuts to 29 Nm (21 ft. lbs.).

18. Install the EGR valve shield bracket.

19. Install the EGR valve shield bracket bolt and nut.

o Tighten the EGR valve shield bracket bolt and nut to 10 Nm (89 inch lbs.).

20. Install the fuel rail. Refer to Fuel Rail Assembly Replacement.

21. Connect the electrical connector to the throttle vacuum line.

22. Connect the throttle and cruise control cables. Refer to in Accelerator Controls Cable Replacement in Powertrain Management.

23. Carefully install the throttle body air inlet duct.

24. Connect the oxygen sensor electrical connector.

25. Install the right spark plugs.

26. Install the right spark plug wires.

27. Install the heater hoses to the engine.

28. Install the power steering pump. Refer to Power Steering Pump Replacement in Steering.

29. Install the drive belt tensioner. Refer to Drive Belt Tensioner Replacement.

30. Return the engine to the proper position.

31. Install the engine mount struts. Refer to Engine Mount Strut Replacement (Left) and Engine Mount Strut Replacement (Right).

32. Connect the three-way catalytic converter to the right exhaust manifold.

33. Install the generator.

34. Fill the cooling system with engine coolant. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System in Cooling System.

35. Install the drive belt. Refer to Drive Belt Replacement.

36. Install the fuel injector sight shield.

37. Connect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnect/Connect Procedure in Starting and Charging.

38. Inspect for proper fluid levels.

39. Inspect for leaks.

Yeah more than likely the LIM, or UIM gasket....or even both. Put a Dorman Upper plenum on there too..... dont re-use your original one because more than likely it's slightly warped with the higher mileage......wich could be a contributing factor as to why coolant got down there in the first place.

yup i have never seen a GTP blow i head gasket and with my old 97 i was in the high 13's on a 274k mile motor. never had any problems.

Yeah more than likely the LIM, or UIM gasket....or even both. Put a Dorman Upper plenum on there too..... dont re-use your original one because more than likely it's slightly warped with the higher mileage......wich could be a contributing factor as to why coolant got down there in the first place.

what places carry that gasket?

I'm surprised, ZZP has one of the better deals I've seen on that plenum.

I'd replace the intake manifold gaskets and the upper intake. It's more than likely not the headgasket.

well i got my manifold gaskets changed as well as a new plenum. however when the motor started my starter stuck open and wont go back in now so now i have to get a starter tom.

sell ya one on the cheap dono how fast ya need it though.

I ended getting one the next day, but thanks for the offer. Turns out the starter was fine however the nose that that goes over the starter when the gear pops out to the flywheel broke off and was scraping the flywheel.

• 2 years later...

I recently use the procedure in this thread to do a head gasket/intake manifold gasket replacement myself. I put together a video walkthrough that outlines these steps, here is a link:

I hope someone finds it helpful!

• 7 years later...
On 7/24/2013 at 11:26 AM, greywolf40 said:

I recently use the procedure in this thread to do a head gasket/intake manifold gasket replacement myself. I put together a video walkthrough that outlines these steps, here is a link:

I hope someone finds it helpful!

The front clyinder head was an easy go 

Im having trouble getting the back cylinder head and rear exhaust manifold off. Its hard to reach spaces im not sure what tool really to use . to get the exhaust bolts off .