why?

threepointone

doing front strut/mounts/hub/tie rods ends/balljoints replacement im doing this on a 1st gen im just thinking who on earth created such a odd setup it made me drink a few extra beers thinking about it

Damn kids are scared when a job takes more than a $9.99 Harbor Freight tool set:lol:

Redo everything on the front (not including inner tie rods) in about 1-2 hours. Then again, im not scared nor do I have just a elcheapo general service tool kit.

Umm... they are plenty serviceable...

If you have a grinder and an air punch maybe, neither of which I had.

For reference, ball joints on my friends Shadow took us about 90 minutes. Ball joints on my car? FOUR FREAKING DAYS!!!

Granted it was both of our first times doing them on my car but seriously WHAT was the point in RIVETING the damned things in?

Edited by white4d96

Well, if you wanna work on your car, better have some actual tool.

Hell, a uber cheap air hammer and chisel bit for it will shear the rivets off fine.

If you complain over that design, then you would love an old Chrysler product with screw in balljoints which love to rip the threads out of the lower control arm.

If you have a grinder and an air punch maybe, neither of which I had.

For reference, ball joints on my friends Shadow took us about 90 minutes. Ball joints on my car? FOUR FREAKING DAYS!!!

Granted it was both of our first times doing them on my car but seriously WHAT was the point in RIVETING the damned things in?

I typically dont use power tools on my car, I can only recall once that I ever have. I used an impact wrench to get the front hub bolts out. Thats one thing I will never understand. The length of the front hub bolts. They get all rusty. My only idea is that they had them laying around so they used them. An inch of rusty threads is alot though!

Anyway, I feel like a broken record lately, but a (regular old wood type) hammer and a cold chisel made very quick work of the rivets. Possibly quicker than trying to unscrew 15 year old rusty bolts. There is an obvious cost advantage to doing it this way. Having rivets instead of bolts is probably on the order of 3 times cheaper. Imagine all the cars they sold with this setup. Thats alot of money to save for something thats functionally the same

oh i have worked on plenty of those old chrysler's i have over $100,000 invested in tools and equipment so thats no problem there

$100K in tools are your complaining about the design of our front suspension:think: