`94 CS starts only when it feels like it

rich_e777

Whats going on everybody, ive got a 94 Cutlass SL that maybe about once every 4 or 5 times i try to start it she wont. The starter isnt getting power but it does work just fine. There is a faint cliking sound in the master cylinder area under the hood when i turn the key and everything works and im getting the full amps for starting, sometimes the doors lock on their own when doing this and i know that only is suppose to happen when the gear is shifted. Any ideas? similar pain in the ass? Im also wanting to replace the pulleys in the water and power steering pump but i can handle that, but im always open to advice.

I've been having a tiny bit of starting trouble lately and I am able to start it up when I mess with the shifter. I guess the interlock switch needs to be adjusted or cleaned, but this could be your issue?

Never thought of messing with the shifter, next time its not wanting to start i`ll try it. From reading other posts and threads it might be one of those switches, i`ll look at both and if they aren`t all that expensive might as well replace them both.

If it were to be the neutral switch to blame would the column mounted part need replacing or the transaxle mounted part, looking at two autozone offers.

All the dash lights function and act the same when the car starts up. But with the doorlocks auto locking as if i was shifting from Park im thinking it may be the neutral start switch needs attention, Ive got the Haynes manual and it mentions something about adjusting this switch by lining up some notches on a nut in what appears to be under the hood somewhere, hopefully thats all she needs.

and i usually have to turn the key to get everything on and wait a few seconds for the battery gauge to read and (i believe its part of the obd system) rings (6 times) it will start and run as good as normal, but this is only after about ten minutes of repeated attempts at starting. When i do this im not holding the gas pedal down, tried that, and im not constantly holding the key in the start position, i just do it like i normally would do.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if this would be your issue or not, but my fiancee has a 94 GP and hers does this every now n then as well. One thing I checked was the fuse box under the hood along the driver side fender. Her ignition/starter fuse had some corrosion on it, so I pulled it and hit the legs with some sandpaper. After I popped it back in the car fired right up.

However, this fix only seemed to work for a little while as the car started failing to turn over again, and the fuse looked fine. If she lets it sit for a litle while before trying again it will usually go. I'm thinking she may have a bad battery, or there's a dead spot on the solenoid or something.