tire wear

cutsup1996

what all brands of tires and sizes and treadwear #'s do you guys have? i currently have the Michellin Pilot XGT H4's , 215 60R16, Treadwear 400. I think the ride is great and grip and handling is good too but they seem to wear unusually fast and the centers are wearing faster. I know that is an indication of overinflation but I have made sure not to do that, I run 30psi all around like it says too. I didn't plan on getting new tires before this winter but now that may change. I have heard its just because they "hook up" so well and have such good traction, which means a quicker wear. Like most of you guys I want a good combination of ride quality and performance, but not at a high cost. Lets hear of what you guys are running what you think or any advice on other tires, ppreciate it.

On my old Cutlass DOHC, I had a set of Phantom HRX's (P225/60-R16 97H).

Good traction all season, but had a slightly softer compound for the summer streets.

But, for me... tires are tires. I don't get head-over-heels for some Z-rated rubber on my W-Body.

To reduce tire wear overall, set you tires 3 - 7 below the max pressure stated on the tire, not based by the car specs.

Properly rotate them (5-6K for me) and you should have a problem with un-even wear or bald-spotting.

- Erik

BF Goodrich 195/75R14

Boo ya, go stock :)

Actually, got these in feb of this year (03) and wish i had gotten them earlier. They grip so much better in the snow.

Those pilots are nice, and pricey. I work in a tire bay, and wish I could afford michelins. Nice tires. One main reason I didnt get them (X-Radial, not pilots) is because I dont know if i can get 80,000 more miles out of my car :)

John

yeah the michellins cost, the H4's are like only 10-15 dollars apiece cheaper than the Pilot Sports, which are the top of the line sold on stuff like porsche. the max press. on the sidewall says 44psi, the car says run 30psi, i run 31psi and rotate regular

As for your center wearing problem, is this happening on the back tires? I used to work for a guy that had a tire service station for most of his life, and when that happened to me I asked him about it. He said that it is not uncommon for the rear's to do that, because there is so much less weight there. He suggested using less pressure in the back; he also said that the newer monte carlos needed to go down to about 24...I thought that was a little low, so I just went to 26-27, and 30-31 in the front. Anybody have any comments on this?

the center wearing prob is prolly that they are inflated too much, and the edges would be worn if it was underinflated. I worked at a tire place for about 2 years and thats what i saw with the customer cars.

I drive on Nitto 555 235/45/17 Z rated SUMMER

and then 195/75/14 Goodyear sure grip ice (like little superswampers) the nittos wear very well but the goodyears cup very easily and they are rotational sooooo, later jay

...the newer monte carlos needed to go down to about 24...I thought that was a little low, so I just went to 26-27, and 30-31 in the front. Anybody have any comments on this?

Our Monte sits 40psi; max 44psi on tire.

No problems, great traction and even wear with the ETC off!

- Erik

old3.jpg

Take a look at that treadware! :lol:

57,000 miles and only 4 rotations! They are Goodyear Eagle GPS tires. That one in the pic is about 400 miles from blowing up! Good thing it's getting replaced by a brand new set of GPS tires. You can see the rest of the pics below:

http://www.neonix.org/nero/LE/tires/

Now if your tire is wearing in the middle, then I do agree that it is over-inflated. I know mine wore on the inside due to excesive speed in the corners and lack of rotation. :oops:

Now if your tire is wearing in the middle, then I do agree that it is over-inflated. I know mine wore on the inside due to excesive speed in the corners and lack of rotation. :oops:

Rom, what side did that come off of?

If I was to guess that's a right side tire if it were bolted to the car as is... am I right?

- Erik

Rom, what side did that come off of?

If I was to guess that's a right side tire if it were bolted to the car as is... am I right?

- Erik

Actually, it came off the left side (driver side). That's where it had been for the last 25,000 or so miles. It was in the front for about half of that time. The last time I rotated them they were so worn that I couldn't rotate them properly. I just rotated front to back and back to front. :oops:

Also, that is the only tire that is worn that bad. The rest of them have even treadware. Although some of them leak air :roll:

I have Toyo Proxes T1-S tires. 245/45/17

I dont know the tread life but I know its not very high. Also these tires will suck for winter so Im going to have to buy some winter tires and put them on my old rims.

Bridgestone HP 50 225/60r/16's on my 5 spokes for nice weather. On my stock crosslave wheels, 205/70r/15's with 2 snow tires on the front and BF Goodrich T/A's in the rear.

While we're on the subject of tires! :) I got tires about 10,000 mi ago and the outside edge of the front tires are wearing abnormally, I've had an alignment. I also replaced the balljoints (which I think might be the problem, which are from AutoZone :roll: ). The strut/steering knuckle assembly appears to be non-adjusable and I do see the camber being off. Does anyone have a similar problem?

I have a 95' Grand Prix.

Our Monte sits 40psi; max 44psi on tire.

No problems, great traction and even wear with the ETC off!

Maybe it wasn't the monte carlo? I wasn't talking from first hand experience, and I guess that was a couple years ago......but my point was that even with proper rotation I've seen tires go bald in the center. Mine did it in 15,000 miles. And this was on the back of a solid axle rwd car. After dropping the pressure, they haven't done it. But I would say center wear is most likely from over-inflation.

I previously had BF Goodrich Touring T/As at 225/60R-16, but now I have Motomaster Touring LXRs at same size of 225/60R-16. The BF Goodrich Touring T/A tires aren't bad, although they wear out way too early considering their price. Decent grip but when it gets snowy or icy out then you have to be careful. I haven't had a chance to test the Motomaster tires in rain, ice or snow yet but they say they're good for about 135,000km. I can't complain, since each tire cost me $100, which is far less than $135/each for BF Goodrich Touring T/As which have no treadwear warranty.

I can't complain, since each tire cost me $100, which is far less than $135/each for BF Goodrich Touring T/As which have no treadwear warranty.

Really? At work the touring T/A's have a 45,000mile (dunno what that is in KM) warantee. The only ones that dont have the warantee are the ones that are like, V-Speed rated.

John