Porting and Polishing

SmoothSteve3

Hey everyone-

Ok, I'm the first to admit that I'm VERY naive about internal engine work (probable because I've never rebuilt one). What is meant when people say they are going to port and polish their intakes/valve heads? The polish part is pretty self explainatory, but what about the porting part? Are they just making the intake holes bigger? or what?

Thanks!

SmoothSteve

Another method used is to scribe the opening of the gasket on the both the intake and exhaust ports of the head. The opening is then enlarged to the size of the gasket to allow maximum airflow. This enlarged opening is then blended into the original size of the runner for about an inch or so into the head.

I have also heard that the intake runner should be kept a little rough, to keep the fuel/air mixture mixed. This would only help on a non port injected engine though :wink:

Also, the combustion chamber can also be polished to slow down the accumulation of carbon deposits, and to avoid hot spots on the head that could lead to detonation.

I've never personally done any of this; I have only seen them done on a race car that someone I new built. (it wasn't a w-body....sorry)

I hope this helps....maybe someone else will have something to add also.