T belt

mjmich

Got my timing belt replaced today at the GM garage. I dropped my car off at 9 am and they had it done by 4:30 pm. I thought they would have kept it for a couple of days. The belt they took off really didn't look bad, it was a little frayed in one spot and probably stretched- it had 80,000 mi. The plasitc pulleys they replaced looked okay as did the actuater. Anyway the car seems to run good (the same as before). The quickness with the way they did it makes me wonder if they did it right. As for my money pit, plug wires are next along with cleaning of plenum and TB.

If there was no shreding and the belt was still intact in the first place, it's not that big of a project. To ensure yourself, pull off the Secondary Timing Belt cover located on the passenger side of the motor; next to the valve cover. A new belt is obvious... have a look for yourself! :D

- Erik

I didn't pay for it yet but it's probably gonna cost about 400 with everything. I picked it up at 11:30 tonight after i got out of work and they left the keys in the visor ( i gotta pay the bill monday). They gave me a loner car for the day, it was a 97 Lumina 4 door and it had some balls, i didn't get a chance to look under the hood but it had 120,000 mi. on it. Couldn't believe the get up and go the lumina had.

PS thats a cool pick of the Grand prix.

hey thanks....yeah i have about 5 beach pictures of my car. they are beautiful and unique IMO. $400 isnt bad...especially if they actually did the job right.

im guessing a 97 lumina would have the 175hp 3100?

The loner Chevy lumina was kinda beat, had a lot of low end torque, it seemed like it was faster than my DOHC, I was kinda jealous but it was fun to romp on for awhile.

Probably the Series II. 200 HP with gobs of its torque at low end. It rips off the line pretty good...but doesn't feel anything like an LQ1 at 4000 RPM. At that point, she'll be starting to wheeze out.

This gm garage in westfield NY replaced my timing belt, actuator, and two plastic pulleys plus check with scan tool for $362 bucks. I'm glad thats all it costed since i've heard stories of upwards of 500 bucks.

This gm garage in westfield NY replaced my timing belt, actuator, and two plastic pulleys plus check with scan tool for $362 bucks. I'm glad thats all it costed since i've heard stories of upwards of 500 bucks.

Thats one hell of a deal!!.. then again it wasnt a dealership.

when i had my t-belt done they replaced idle pully and serpintine belt for a grand total of 600bucks us. In a way its almost worth it b/c every time they take my car in they check every freakin thing.

when i hadmy altinator done they replaced oil/coolant lines and some other stuff behind the motor b/c it was leaking. that bill was 500bux :shock:

i had a estimate for the womans car of $1200to do the timing belt at a dealership! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: i am so jealous of hearing you guys pay $400 bux! i might just have to drive it on over and get it donme where some of you have had yours done. later Jay