FAIL brakes - what do?

RobertISaar

I would do what ken did if you are reusing. Thats pretty good. That said, I've reused them without doing anything to them. No catastrophic failures here. Also, as long as the copper is sammitched between the bolt flange and banjo, you should be good. Having too large of a bore, while not ideal, is probably not much worse than reusing them...speaking from experience

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobertISaar

• Crazy K

• birdman

• mra32

hmm..... flatten them in a c-clamp as well?

and y'all might LOL at this:

i pulled the wheel back off, and then all of the e-brake stuff and then sprayed the rotor heavily with WD-40 and spun it so it would get spread around, then i used some LARGE adjustable pliers to tighten the actuator screw as much as possible, then pumped the brakes... still leaking, but noticeably less and now i'm getting more pedal, so now i threw on the bracket that the e-brake cable attaches to, and started tapping on it with a claw hammer, pumped the brakes, still better, so i smacked the shit out of it, and now i have ~90% of the pedal back and a VERY small leak.

i feel that a caliper that is clamped on the rotor which will pretty much slip for at least a little while is safer than leaking all of the fluid out with a rotor that free-spins.

:lol:

total spent so far: $109.06

pads and rotors a la cheap via rockauto were 39.06 shipped

calipers from yard: 20 each

caliper brackets from yard: 15 each

bank account now ~$27.... there went dayton.

considering if i didn't mess with it at all, i wouldn't have incurred any cost at all.... could have stopped with just a new 88-93 caliper for $20..... i hope this was worth it.

update:

remind me to bring lube to the junkyards.

i got around to picking up the calipers today, and after giving me the runaround for 30 minutes, i finally got to see them.... i don't know what vehicle they picked it off of, but holyWTF is what came to mind... this set looks 10X worse than the ones i'm pulling off. i think most of the boots were cut as well, but i don't know if it was recent or not. one of the bleeder valves is missing it's check valve(how does this happen?!), so i'm going to pray that the ones i have now aren't total junk. they did leave some fairly worn pads in one side(which i will give away for the price of shipping, i don't want or need them, and maybe someone has a worn pad collection or something), no caliper bolts included(i got the impression that they killed them), though they did cut the e-brake and rubber lines about 6" before the caliper, so i have those as a "bonus"....

fuck Welch's, i highly doubt i'll return in the future.

exorcism and installation tomorrow, maybe i'll try and clean these up a little tonight.

I've had great success with junkyard 94+ rear calipers. Just make sure the boots are there and the sliders are cleaned and regreased properly and they will treat you well.

I've had great success with junkyard 94+ rear calipers. Just make sure the boots are there and the sliders are cleaned and regreased properly and they will treat you well.

planning on it. i wonder if i can transfer the boots from the 90 calipers onto the new ones? the old ones are in great condition.

FUCK new. make me a USB corded car scanner and we will talk...

they sold them to me as-is with no warranty due to sticking 94-96 calipers on a 90(awesome policy, huh?), so at this point, i'm stuck with them.

Buy new ones.

and spend even more money i didn't have to spare?:lol::(

Buy new... haz warranty... replace it once, you're done.

Buy used... based on visual inspection they're junk... put them on, find out they are garbage, then spend more money and more aggravation finding another set of used ones, thus starting the whole retarded process all over again.

digging my way in for the last hour or so... killed a banjo bolt on the old set, but i finally got it out after a few rounds with some vice-grips.

having trouble figuring out how i'm supposed to use the old e-brake cable in the new calipers...:think:

also, i measured the length i need for the new caliper bolts and am about to cut down the old ones, looks simple enough.

otherwise, it's been somewhat smooth so far, but two of the boots were cut on the new ones(the pressed in slider ones).

see, but i want to get it done sometime tonight, ken!:P

i got the bolts cut perfectly(where would i be without mah dremel), and they thread how they should and just BARELY reach the face, so i'm good there, but the only thing confusing me at this point is how the e-brake cables hookup...

(sigh) i hope the phone battery lasts...

Its too bad you couldn't have found a set of j/y calipers like what i found this past winter when DiNunzio was up here. Looked like someone put brand new 88-93 calipers, pads, and hoses on a 92ish GP SE , then drove it to the j/y.

I think I got everything for $50 iirc

yeah, that would certainly be nice...

and i may have been overthinking the e-brake a bit... i may or may not have it somewhat correct now, but i'll see soon enough.

tonight only seemed to be a single helping of FAIL... i got SOME progress, but nowhere near where i should have been...

for my half-assed repaired boots, i threw in some lithium based grease since it is what i had available, but when i have a few spare bucks, new boots and some proper silicone lube is in the works.

the junkyard fucked with me yet again, only one of the bolts that hold the caliper to the bracket was the intended one, the other was a similar length bolt with a rubber/plastic washer under it:mad:. i made do with it and pressed on. after swapping the calipers about 6 or so times, i finally found a way to get the brake hose to connect even though it looks goofy as hell.

at that point it was starting to get dark, so i wanted to quickly throw the rotors and pads on at least... nope. byt the time i was done fussing with it, it was way too dark to see anything, so i threw on my little LED spotlight and still got nothing since the rotor and pads wanted to exist in the same space...

and the idea i had about the e-brake may or may not work, i can't tell yet but i'll have pics and possibly a demo tomorrow, but at this point, i just want the fuckers on, e-brake or not.

seriously, i have rebuilt motors that took far less than halfof the time i put into this. i'm obviously not a rear disk guy.

Your doing it wrong...

i know. i realized this after swapping the left and right calipers back and forth about 6 times, then came in to look at the diagram to figureout which was which.