help with turbo rebuild

stockgp

i'm going to attempt to rebuild my t25. i see rebuild kits all over ebay ranging from 35 to well over 100 bucks.

how do i know which one to get? do i get the cheap one, or the expensive one or somewhere in between?

you're right, they all do look like they're the same... IMO. the second looks like a knockoff, but the first and third look like they could be actual garrett parts... though the first may or may not be reselling a knock-offor genuine garrett kit...

i really don't think you would see a vast difference in service life for any of them. china seems to be getting better at this kind of thing.

i plan to upgrade to a t28 hybrid or a gt2871r when i drop in my spare motor.

so, hopefully, i'll only actually need this one to last till maybe next summer

i plan to upgrade to a t28 hybrid or a gt2871r when i drop in my spare motor.

so, hopefully, i'll only actually need this one to last till maybe next summer

It is not as simple as just a rebuild. Replacing the bearings will only get you so far. You need to have the vanes dynamically balanced. go to Tgp forums and talk to Flybynite he will hook you up with someone to balance the vanes and ship back to you.

Also you need to check out my t25 rebuild how to on 60degreev6.com

http://60degreev6.com/forum/showthread.php/39416-HOW-TO-Rebuild-a-T25?highlight=turbo+rebuild

Ken

i was hoping to hear from you. i read your how to over on tgpforums, and i also posted this thread there.

i didn't think about posting on 60degreev6.

you think if there is no apparent damage to the vanes i should still ahve them balanced?

• 2 weeks later...

if you want your rebuild to last more than 3k miles I suggest a balance. just my 2 cents. I burned up 2 rebuilds before I learned the hard way. Unless you plan on babying it I would pay the money and get them balanced. If they are bent or severely damaged then get some good used ones balanced off ebay.