bypass foglight/hi-beam switch?

gpchris

I want to make it so the high beams wont kill the foglights but i still want to keep it where when you turn the low beams off both the highs and fogs will go off. Possible?

photo.jpg

So you want to make it where the fog lights kick in with the highs and shut off with the high beams? My idea would be bypass the fog lights relay and just hook into the high beams relay.

The fog lamp relay is located on the top side of the passenger frame rail hidden by the coolant recovery tank. The ground for the fog relay is thru the high beam headlamp circuit (they go out when the high beam circuit goes *live* because there is no longer a path to ground). To keep the fog relay circuit live when the highs are on all you need to do is go into the relay and cut the ground side wire in the harness and then splice in a fresh lengthy wire with an eye connector on the end and then ground that wire to the chassis at your choice of location. I did this quite a few years ago with my fogs (driving lamps) as well.

Edited by 55trucker

just think of how the high beam switch in the column works, all it does is switch ground and that signals the fog lamps to turn off,cut the wire at the relay and bypass it. I did it when I had my GP

If you do what Addicted to eaton put in that diagram with the green wires, you will end up with fogs that shut off with low beams and turn on with highs.

You do want to splice and cut where he says, but don't connect those greens to tan. Connect those greens to ground. Technically, you only need to do one, because the other is just for the LED indicator.

Although, the reason they turn off with high beams is because fogs are not useful in conditions where high beams are desirable and vice versa. In theory, it's actually worse to have high beams on when you need fogs.

I dont understand how more light can be a bad thing? My low beams are indented, so when i turn my brights on and my foglights go out i lose quite a bit of light.

for mine (on my GTP and my cutlass), driver side, under the hood, you have a foglight relay, just find de wire run at the highbeam feed, cut it and just put this wire to a ground (relay side).

I tink is a green wire.. but not sure a 100%

I dont understand how more light can be a bad thing? My low beams are indented, so when i turn my brights on and my foglights go out i lose quite a bit of light.

I think it's mainly that high beams in fog is bad because it reflects off the fog and reduces visibility. I don't think there's anything wrong with fogs on all the time, but they're not supposed to be useful for anything but fog. Driving lights are designed with a beam pattern that can assist with high-beams, but these cars don't come with driving lights from the factory, just fog lights. There's also a concern that all 6 lights on at the same time could overload factory wiring. I can speak from experience on that one, in my high school days I had 100W H3 bulbs in my fogs and ran them with low beams all the time. That eventually melted my C100 connector. :(

I want to make it so the high beams wont kill the foglights but i still want to keep it where when you turn the low beams off both the highs and fogs will go off. Possible?

If you do what Addicted to eaton put in that diagram with the green wires, you will end up with fogs that shut off with low beams and turn on with highs.

Thats what i thought he wanted lol, I didnt see this post till about 5 min ago lol

Well no. I just want it so that when you turn the highs on the fogs don't shut off.

I did this this evening. Thanks guys. And to redgtp yes it was the green wire. The thing with my car is I have hids. So my foglights supply most of the light. The low beams are good but because they're indented you don't see anything but what's right ahead of you.

Another question. Is there another kind of bulb I can put in my high beams to make them brighter? I have silverstar ultras in there now. I need something halogen so I don't have to wait for them to warm up. Maybe a higher watt 9005?

my setup is :

6000k HID low beam

3000k HID fog light

80w halogen highbeam

I can turn on or off my fog light when I want, but parking light need to be open... and when I put my highbeam, my fog light rest ON, 6 lights.. very very bright ! :D

Another question. Is there another kind of bulb I can put in my high beams to make them brighter? I have silverstar ultras in there now. I need something halogen so I don't have to wait for them to warm up. Maybe a higher watt 9005?

A long time ago, I think it was slick, who mentioned HIR bulbs. They use the same wattage, but produce more light. Google search pulls up this site: http://hirheadlights.com/index.htm

Here's a post that claims the HIR are "TONS brighter". http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=954736

http://cecindustries.com/user/SearchResults_list.php

Get a hold of Michelle at customer service here at CEC Industries. She can direct you to one of their dealers for the product that they market. There is a high wattage 9005 available if that is the route you want to go instead of the more expensive HID's.

idk what factory is but im thinking if i use a 100w 9005 it should be bright enough.

I would recommend trying HIR bulbs before going higher wattage, but if you must go higher wattage, I can't stress enough the importance of using an upgraded wiring/relay kit. I now use one anyway, just in case.

Here's what happened to my C100 connector just using 100W fogs in place of the 55W.

post-2-143689048626_thumb.jpg

post-2-143689048631_thumb.jpg