Ceiling needs to be replaced. Need advice.

cutlasssupremeking

The ceiling in my car has been falling down for a while and I tried to glue it back up with 3M Super 77 spray adhesive and its not cutting it. Not all of the headliner is staying up. I need to replace it.

I was told that using 3M Super 777 spray adhesive will do the trick. I should have known that 3M would have a stronger spray!

I was also told that a cotton printed fabric will work as a replacement for the headliner. Is this true? I am totally down for a print on my ceiling, but I don't want it falling down because I used the wrong type of fabric.

And where do I get cool foam to put under the new headliner to help with the acoustics? I love my music.

Jo-Ann fabric, or the like, actually sells headliner material, that already has a foam backing.

Otherwise, go to the above mentioned place, pick up a very thin sheet (ok, maybe 1/4") of foam roll, and the fabric of your desire.

What I have found works best is spraying the headliner board and the foam, let it tack up for 15-20 seconds, then apply. Work out all bubbles and wrinkles, then cut the excess. Do the same to whatever headliner print you choose.

• 4 weeks later...

So, I went to JoAnn's Fabric store and asked about fabrics and the person I was talking to didn't know anything. But, there was a hardcore ska girl that overheard my explanation of what I wanted to do. She had recently done this to her car and totally explained the process and the options to me.

She told me that I could use that thin cotton fabric with the print that I wanted. And told me about putting a Thermal/Acoustic foam layer under the headliner for better heat deflecting and better stereo sound.

Have you guys heard anything about this Thermal/Acoustic foam? Where can I get it?

So, I went to JoAnn's Fabric store and asked about fabrics and the person I was talking to didn't know anything. But, there was a hardcore ska girl that overheard my explanation of what I wanted to do. She had recently done this to her car and totally explained the process and the options to me.

She told me that I could use that thin cotton fabric with the print that I wanted. And told me about putting a Thermal/Acoustic foam layer under the headliner for better heat deflecting and better stereo sound.

Have you guys heard anything about this Thermal/Acoustic foam? Where can I get it?

i used 3M super 90. Super 77 lasted like a few months (in the winter). The super 90 has lasted about a year (2 summers) and i did just notice that it started coming down in one of the curves. I didnt rest anything on the parts of it to make it stick better. all adhesives stick better when pressure is applied. You can get like little sand bags or bags of water and put them in the corners/curves.

I did plaid and I think the fabric was wool. I had a thread about it not too long ago. My total cost was like $12 for the fabric since I used some spare 3M super 90 that my dad had. If you have to buy that stuff, it could be close to $20 for a can.

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the day when I worked off and on at the car lot I got my first Gran Torino from, I helped Tex do a few of the headliners for the POS note lot cars he sold. We did a Skyhawk, a Century and a LeBaron one day. He had rolls and rolls of this stuff in his shop, all sorts of color. Then he had a HUGE roll of the foam backing.

I learned three things from Tex about headliners.

1) TAKE YOUR TIME and DO IT RIGHT

2) don't go overboard with the glue

3) scrape the ever loving crap out of the backing board and make it clean enough to eat off of (wire brush and then damp rags)

Most car upholstery shops will sell foam backed headliner fabric. I did my GTP years ago. If you use foam and fabric you have two layers of glue and more trouble if it doesn't setup right.

3) scrape the ever loving crap out of the backing board and make it clean enough to eat off of (wire brush and then damp rags)

Yes! I used a wire brush on a dremel to finish off the job of getting the foam off that I was able to make short work out of with some masonry tools. The wire brush was clutch