IAC, TB, TBP sensor

GRANDFURY

I pulled my IAC yesterday and it is all black, and my Hanyes book says not to clean it with anything is that true? Or should use some TB cleaner or carb cleaner? And also is the TBP sensor the one right under the IAC? My car is a 89' GP. Is it hard to take off the TB and clean it? I know this has probally been posted a thousand times before but the sreach is all wierd :? Thanx again guys :)

I wiped my old one off w/ a rag and re-installed it with no problems surfacing, this was about three months ago so I guess it's safe to say it didn't hurt anything, I only used water and a rag and got the gunk off of it...I think most of the shit on it and in the intake comes from the EGR recirculating all the exhaust gases and gunk back into the intake stream, you might want to check the condition of the EGR fitting/hole on the intake plenum if you do remove your throttle body, they can become fully sealed up w/ carbon build up and cause problems(probably should throw a SES light on if that happens though)...anyways, to remove the throttle body, just remove whatever intake you have, then take a 13mm(if I'm remembering right..been a while) socket and a ratchet of course(you'll probably need a 3-4'' extension also. It's not hard really except for the damn throttle body coolant lines, your originals(if they are) are most likely held on w/ those black press clamps that are a bit** to remove if they're turned upside down(most likely are, I think the general rule of thumb for the people who installed those hoses/clamps was "let's make them poor bastards have to work harder to get these hoses off" or something to that tune... :roll: )..use needle nose pliers or a small pair of regular pliers to get at those hose clamps..I broke some of them off that I couldn't remove and replaced them with the turn-screw type clamps, makes working on the car easier.

BTW, the TPS is the sensor located beneath the idle air control valve.

well my IAC wuz totally black so I cleaned it with a clean rag and put it back but my car still stalls.......it was fine all week going to work and back and stuff but then today I went out for a bit and it drove like crap so I came home and about an hour or so l8r I went back out and it wouldn't start. I turns over and cranks fine it just won't catch....and when it does it sounds like a lawnmower and dies imeddiatley. But then 2 hours l8r it starts up and drives fine again :roll: What tha heck is going on? I'm just thinking about getting a new car............but can't afford it at all :(

so it won't start after it's been running for a while and then shut off? sounds like the fuel pressure regulator may be going bad, I had this happen on one of my cars and one of my friends car suffered from the same problem recently...anyways the fuel pressure regulator in my car died and it was stuck completely open and sending tons of fuel into the motor, the car would buck/run like shit and didn't want to crank after being run for a while, it finally fouled the plugs and caused a " no start" condition, I replaced the FPR and plugs and it ran like new again. I would have the fuel pressure regulator tested just to rule that out. BTW if you've unhooked your battery for more than a few minutes you may be experiencing the stalling/bad running problem due to the computer not knowing exactly how to idle, follow the "idle relearn" procedure outlined here http://www.60degreev6.com/index.php?p=pages&pid=74 it won't hurt to try it and doesn't cost anything except a bit of gas to run the car... :wink: hopefully that will fix your problem, good luck!

Yeah I already did an Idle relearn and replaced the plugs, wires, pcv, was going to do the crank sensor but couldn't find it. :) Where is the FPR? Do you know how much they cost or how to tell if they are faulty? It only does this sometimes but it will die at idle or just not start, and yes it is always after driving it around, but after it sits for 1-2 hours it starts up again :?

It only does this sometimes but it will die at idle or just not start, and yes it is always after driving it around, but after it sits for 1-2 hours it starts up again

sounds like a crank position sensor.

do you think so? Crank sensors are cheap I bought one last week it was like $36 Canadian but I couldn't find where it went so I took it back. I think I know where it is but I can't see it just feel it. But robby told me to take off the front pass tire and the plastic splash gaurds and that might help so maybe i'll do that before it gets too cold out. I swear my engine doesn't tilt lie it should I only get maybe an extra inch to stuff my arm down there :?

Kool...it's supposed to be warm this weekend so maybe I can get this taken care of. I might jack my engine up a bit and check the engine and tranny mounts to..be a good idea for the winter to check every F*#@&^% thing :lol: You should see my old dogbones I replaced too...the rubber inserts fell into three peices when I took them out.....got some in mint condition for 25 bucks off a cutty at tha junkers :)

I know this is completely unrelated but my engine is the 2.8 and my car was made on October 8 1988. My hyanes manual dosen't explain what kind of egr I have. I read something about a EGR test but they didn't explain how to do it. Something like you push on the EGR diaphram, and the car should sputter and if it keeps running fine you got a bad EGR. Is this right? Does anyone know what kind of EGR I have? angain it is a 1989 2.8 GP that was made on Oct 8 1988....any help would be great again...thanx :)

I know this is completely unrelated but my engine is the 2.8 and my car was made on October 8 1988. My hyanes manual dosen't explain what kind of egr I have. I read something about a EGR test but they didn't explain how to do it. Something like you push on the EGR diaphram, and the car should sputter and if it keeps running fine you got a bad EGR. Is this right? Does anyone know what kind of EGR I have? angain it is a 1989 2.8 GP that was made on Oct 8 1988....any help would be great again...thanx :)

You should have a vacuum EGR. Push on the diaphram like you said, it should stumble when you do this