New Cutlass Owner Joining the Forum

meteng

Hi! I'm Chris. I've been a Cutlass convertible owner for about 3 weeks now! These cars were new when I was in high school and college. I worked at a GM dealership as a kid... and always liked these cars. Now that I have a 70-hour per week job and am married with 2 little kids (4 and 6) - I wanted something fun to drive around. The roll bar was my tipping point - seemed like a logical choice to drive to soccer games, etc.

The car. 1993 Olds Cutlass Supreme Convertible. I bought it 3 weeks ago with 79,100 miles on it. Drove it home 2 hours on the interstate (found it on Craigslist) - it drove down the road perfectly - smooth, straight, and with the top up - had less road / wind noise than my Honda van!

I have the orig. window sticker. It is bright aqua metallic, with graphite cloth interior. 3.1L. Pretty low on options - but clean and in good shape mechanically. I spent a couple of evenings filling chips / scratches, using the clay bar, polishing and buffing. Also used toothpaste, windex, and a cheap electric toothbrush to clean up the turn signal and fog light lenses. Car looks great now!

Problems: after reading through everyone's posts - looks like I don't have anything that you guys are not dealing with. Power antenna only sorta works. Weatherstripping around the 1/4 windows and the windshield is shot. Top is slow, but works. It has the rear valve cover / dist shaft cover oil leak and needs ball joints sometime this summer. Drivers seat needs help (wiggles... have not figured that one out yet.)

Questions:

- if I buy power seats out of another cutlass, will I find the wiring harness somewhere under the carpet in my car? (I don't have a power seat.)

- Steering wheel radio controls. same question - is the harness somewhere in the steering column / dash to hook this up?

- Keyless entry. Any easy way to add it?

I've learned a ton from reading through everyone's information! It's great to have a venue to share with others. I look forward to chatting more with you all. I'm still trying to figure out how to add pics to posts and to my profile... sorry if I goof it up. Working on it!!

THANKS!

Chris

post-5146-143689043262_thumb.jpg

power seat not included? yes, you can add a power seat, but you will need the donor harness which runs under the carpet, unless your car had power seats originally. it goes under the carpet to the passenger A-pilar's (right front) base.

looks good man!! if there is an after market radio the swcs will not work unless by chance someone put in the module to make it work (only few do)

welcome to the forum!! which engine does that thing have in it??

I have the orig. window sticker. It is bright aqua metallic, with graphite cloth interior. 3.1L. Pretty low on options - but clean and in good shape mechanically.

humm

• 3 weeks later...