Need some help here.

john99gtp

Ok. So I just got a new instrument cluster from whiskey river (thanks alot man). Now, I have the pin layout that he sent me, but Im a newb to this crap. So i was wondering if someone can give me like, step by step instructions on how to do this, as well as any extra components i need. Like, how do i get the tach and voltmeter to work and crap. If theres a website out there, even better.

Thanks in advanced guys.

John

(Thanks Whiskey River!)

Ok. So I just got a new instrument cluster from whiskey river (thanks alot man). Now, I have the pin layout that he sent me, but Im a newb to this crap. So i was wondering if someone can give me like, step by step instructions on how to do this, as well as any extra components i need. Like, how do i get the tach and voltmeter to work and crap. If theres a website out there, even better.

Thanks in advanced guys.

John

(Thanks Whiskey River!)

You ready!?!? The cluster harness is a typical slide-lock harness, the pins slide in and lock into place. They make a special tool to remove them but a straightened paperclip works just as well (for me anyway). The easiest way to begin this project is to remove all the wires but beware that you have 2 wires of like color. One of them does not move, make sure that you label it before you remove it or a couple of your lights won't work right.

As for the tach, a wire will need to be ran from the ignition module. On the left side of the module is a connector with 5 wires in it. 2 of the wires are white. Unfortunately I don't remember right off which white wire you will splice into but the tach is driven directly from the IGN module by one of the wires and the other signals the ECM. You can see why you don't want to cut the wrong one. As for the volt meter, when the cluster is installed and powered up, the volt meter draws it's power from the cluster power.

About the power, our base clusters only had one power input, the gages cluster needs 2, easiest thing to do is jumper from one pin to the next, or you can run another wire from the fuse box in glove compartment. Like I had said before, it took me about 2 hours to do this so you should be done rather quickly once you get started. Also note that you need to pickup a temperature sender to replace the temp switch, otherwise the temp gauge will read 260+ degrees.

Let me know if you need any additional help.

could you send me the info thta you sent him via email? Loeridr6792@aoil.com THANKS jay

Here is what I sent him, it was a link to a post back some time ago on the pinouts for the cluster.

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5684

Have you already picked up a cluster? I looked but didn't find any with an Oil Pressure gauge, only volt meter.

oil pressure is a rare one....

It is with the Euro style font, if you can find a '90 or '91 Eurosport and it had a gages cluster in it, it had the oil pressure gauge. The only thing I don't really like too much is the font they used, they changed it in '92 and all but dumped the oil pressure gauge.

ahhh. there it is. that is hiding

Turn the key on, :lol: dont know what you were thinking, its not even in my car yet. btw, anyone know what size torx it is so i can roll the odo back to match mine?

John