Details wanted on claybarring

Go4DaMo

Alright, searching threads has failed me. I want to know what is entailed in claybarring a vehicle. I'd like to get my white Z looking spiffy before sundown tonight, but don't know where to start! ANY suggestion/direction would be very helpful. Thanks, guys!

Oh and if I can get her shined up, I'll get a Member's Rides thread set up :biggrin:

just buy the mothers claybar kit. thats what i used. its very very easy to do. you just spray on the mothers detailer stuff, and then take the clay bar and slide it back and forth. slowly moving from one side of the panel to the other. do not use the clay on the bare paint tho! after you get done a section wipe it off with a cloth. you should be able to feel the difference when you rub your hand across the paint. And after each section you do, knead the clay so that you get a new piece of clay to work with.

I worked as a detailer for almost 4 years at a dealership...

When I claybar a vehicle, I do it as I am washing it. I wash the crap off first, rinse, get new soap, then re - claybar it. Works perfect every time.

Then afterwords, get a good wax, I prefer any Mother's or Meguiars products, and just do the entire car. Very simple, and takes probably 2 hrs to do the entire car right.

Most important thing to remember is to not let it get dry

What they said, and this! Make sure the surface is wet when you make a pass with the clay

One other thing is if you drop the clay on the ground, THROW it OUT!

X1000 on that.

Also that Gp in your sig is hott. I like that blue :mrgreen:

yea thats exactly what i thought when i saw it :drool:

One other tip, from another pro detailer:

After you finishing claying the car, I'd at least rinse the vehicle over again, to make sure any left over grime or clay residue is gone. If a lot of clay had to be used, you may even want to give it a quick re-wash to make sure no clay dries on the car.

This is the way I usually clay my vehicles:

I'll usually do a high pressure rinse with a pressure washer to get the loose dirt off of the car. Then, i'll switch to low pressure, and start working it one panel at a time. I use a bucket, and a spray bottle full of soapy water. Basically, i'll wash down one panel, rinse it, spray it, clay it and then rinse it again. Continue until I am done the whole car, then I go and wash the whole car, rinse and then dry. I usually go around the car when with the leaf blower portion of my shopvac to get the water out from behind the trim when drying off the car. Makes things a little easier when applying the sealer (I use Zaino)

I usually go around the car when with the leaf blower portion of my shopvac to get the water out from behind the trim when drying off the car.

I'm finally going to be doing this this year. Makes things so much easier, especially on a dark color car!