Towing w/3.4 DOHC

boostnawd

Planning on getting a boat/trailer in the near future, and would like to use the Lumina to tow. Not looking for a huge boat, something like a 16' with a 25hp outboard.

I don't have the owner's manual, can I tow without much worry?

thats gona suck balls. its really hard to tow on a motor that makes little tq. you will need to really push it to get it into the higher rpm's, cuz otherwise you wont go anywhere. the 3.1 would be a far better motor for towing. but i dont think a small boat should be too bad. yes it can do it, but yes it will struggle and you will have to push it.

Heh. No way, the Talon is staying put, and the only thing it hauls is ass. ;)

Don't know what I'm going to do yet. The GF usually drives the Lumina, we have a 3rd car, an 85 skyhawk that I beat to and from work, but it's ready for the scrap heap - we will need a 3rd car, maybe we'll pick up something that can tow easily.. except, with about a 100km roundtrip daily commute, I would rather avoid a torquey, gas guzzling v8.

we have an 88 S10 for sale. auto, 190k miles, new motor +trannny at 175, runs PERFECT, tows awesome, 4wd, sport, good condition inside and out, and it is so dependable. good, tourqey 4.3 V6 that also gets good mileage. but shipping would suck. oh, it also has the "extented" cab, for the day it was big, has fold down seats in the rear.

yah the cherokees work well, my mom drove her 4.0 I6 5-speed into the ground with 235k on it, and it still ran/worked good. and it kinda tought me how to drive a stick, but i first learned on a inline 3 cylinder metro, which believe it or not wasnt all that slow, it could run with traffic and run on the highway.