canvas or vinyl?

swift13

so is there a difference or is it just a preference, i dont believe any verts came with a canvas top but i have seen them. and since i am goin to put a new one on mine, what should it be?

im sure if you went to a top shop and said you wanted canvas they would give you the same shit they put on the sebrings or some thing but as far as on the internet or anything i havent seen any

I used to see brand new canvas tops pretty regularly on eBay for a pretty decent price, even came with instructional video, but that was probably 6-7 years ago. :(

But I'd go for canvas for sure.

says he has the canvas top for $350. Doesn't come with the back window, but I don't really see any reason to replace the glass if it's not damaged.

the vinyl of the curtain and the canvas of a new top would probably look strange when put together, imho of course

but I don't really see any reason to replace the glass if it's not damaged.

It's not the glass that goes bad, it's the canvas around the glass that goes bad, which is called the "curtain". For some reason, that section is made as one piece, so you can't just replace the canvas section and reuse the glass.

Curtain? You mean that part below the back glass? I wonder if that can't be replaced by itself.

Yes

^ false

I get what you mean now, the glass and the canvas can be replaced separate from the rest of the top.

I get what you mean now, the glass and the canvas can be replaced separate from the rest of the top.

Correct.

As a matter of fact, it seems that the "curtain" is usually the first part of the top to go bad. The canvas seperates from along the bottom of the glass. If you're getting water leaking into the top well, that would be the first thing I'd check. Just my opinion, but if I was replacing the top, I'd also do the curtain, unless the curtain had been replaced recently.

While on the subject, what about cloth? Seems some of the higher end vehicles have cloth tops. I like the look, but not sure of the durability versus canvas or vinyl. Also, I doubt there are any ready made/ready to install cloth tops out there for our verts so it would have to be custom made which would mean $$$$$$$.

Oh, that visible piece at the bottom of the rear window isn't separate from the part on the inside that holds the glass? I've re-glued the window with windshield urethane when it came off, it seems to work very well. I wouldn't think it would be that difficult to glue the rear window onto a canvas version of the curtain.

I guess I've misunderstood this thread since I thought canvas and cloth were one and the same. Haartz (which is what all aftermarket tops use) only comes in vinyl or cloth, so if canvas isn't cloth, they don't offer canvas.