Power vs fixed antenna, would anyone even care?

GnatGoSplat

if you reallllly want it i could pull it and ship it for free.

I need to learn more about it, otherwise it is just a paperweight.

is is actually powered? if so, how? I'd also guess I would have to measure the antenna from the donor as it is probably tuned to a fixed wavelength.

My '72 Cadillac Coupe Deville (RIP) had the radio antenna in the windshield too. I guess GM experimented with it in the 70's, but maybe antenna amp technology was in its infancy back then so they went back to regular masts.

EDIT: GM eSI works at home, so I managed to look it up for you, Ken. Factory radio is external from the amp. It's located just above the rear window above the headliner. Its wiring is very simple, coax in, coax out, it grounds to the frame, and 1 wire for power.

My parent's former '81 Malibu wagon had the antenna in the windshield also.

1 wire power. grounded to frame.

found one in the yard today. interesting!

That sounds like it is being used as a preamp. Basically, the design of the antenna only allows for so much of the signal strength to be passed through the cabling to the radio. The longer the cable, the less signal will reach the radio. The pre amp works by simply being attached as close to the antenna as possible so that there is no cable loss between the 2. The pre amp then pushes the signal down the cable to the radio. This is how it helps pull in stronger reception then just connecting the cable directly to the antenna.

I would like to mount a hidden antenna in the rollbar of the vert(and every other car I have), so i want to try with and without such an amp, as well as messing with different lengths and configurations of wire.... Seems to me the green wire for the ant amp is hooked to either the AMP or Antenna on feed from teh radio. Diagram time!

p.s. got a diagram... and a plan. :mrgreen: