Power vs fixed antenna, would anyone even care?

GnatGoSplat

The power antenna on the convertible is snapped off. I'm trying to sell the car, and I think a snapped off antenna might look a little bit dumpy and give a potential buyer the impression that the car is a neglected heap, so I think I should fix it. However, a new mast from GMPD is about $53.36 shipped. I've been considering to just replace it with a fixed mast.

Power antenna is kind of cool when it works, but does anyone really care? If you were going to buy a used car, would you think, "oh, that car has a power antenna, that's cool, I want that car" or do you even notice the antenna?

If power vs fixed antenna isn't of any importance to most used car buyers, then I'll just forget about the power antenna and replace with fixed. Thoughts?

Yeah, I already checked eBay. 92-97 Cutlass antenna masts were different. They have a smaller tube and would require changing out the entire unit to use an 88-91 mast.

I see they do have a mast listed for 92-97, I'll buy it and see how well it works. Thanks Chris.

$20 on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Power-ANTENNA-1988-1989-1990-1991-Olds-Cutlass-Supreme_W0QQitemZ200425919432QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2eaa50d3c8

On a side note, power antenna's do pick up an ever so slight better reception than non-powered antenna's.

Really? My experience has always been the opposite. I have found that every vehicle I had with a power antenna had less reception than those with a fixed mast. Granted, the cabling and the radio it self probably makes a bigger difference anyways.

On a side note, the best reception I have had in any of my vehicles is in my 2000 regal with the rear glass antenna. I don't know if it's the combination of the radio and the antenna, but I regularily pull in FM stations from the US all the time. One station from Crookston ND, which is about 140 miles south of me, and one station with a transmitter in Grafton ND, which is about 110 miles away. AM on the other hand, can come from much farther away. The furthest station I have picked up is from Denver, and that is over 1000 miles away.

The glass antenna that was in my 2000 Bonneville was horrible!!

To be totally honest....I though mine was going to be as well, but that definately is not the case. It is for sure every bit as good, if not better than the fixed mast one on my cutlass. Although, the Antenna is only one part of the equation, the radio is the other. I'm sure that an aftermarket radio would not be nearly as good reception wise using the same antenna as the factory one is. My Truck has terrible reception with the aftermarket deck and fixed mast antenna.

Put a fixed one on it and be done with it forever.

Fucking power ones break all the time - especially where I live due to cold weather and ice jamming the mechanism and fucking the gears up.

Throw a fixed mast on it and forget about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ebay mast = FAIL.

It doesn't even come CLOSE to fitting. It's too thick for the tube hole, and it won't fit through the bezel ring either. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

Looks like I'm going manual. For selling the car, power antenna doesn't add value in any price guide.

Ebay mast = FAIL.

It doesn't even come CLOSE to fitting. It's too thick for the tube hole, and it won't fit through the bezel ring either. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

Looks like I'm going manual. For selling the car, power antenna doesn't add value in any price guide.

Sucks, sorry to hear that.

I had bought a new black mast on ebay a LONG time ago and never got around to using it. If you can tell me the thickness of the one you received and I'll compare it to mine. I'll let mine go cheap as none of my cars have power antenna.

To the original question, do any new cars come with power antennas anymore? I don't think it would make any difference in the sale price whatsoever.

I had bought a new black mast on ebay a LONG time ago and never got around to using it. If you can tell me the thickness of the one you received and I'll compare it to mine. I'll let mine go cheap as none of my cars have power antenna.

To the original question, do any new cars come with power antennas anymore? I don't think it would make any difference in the sale price whatsoever.

I can almost guarantee 99% of people wouldn't care one bit as long as the radio works.

The diameter of the largest section of the factory antenna is about 8.45mm according to my digital calipers. This doesn't include the sleeve part, but I think if the largest section of antenna is that diameter, the sleeve should fit. The one I received is about 9.04mm. Tolerances are really tight so your mast has to be pretty close to exact.

I don't think new cars come with power antennas anymore. All the pics of cars I've been looking at to replace mine with (if I ever get it sold) don't have any visible antennas. I think new cars use window antennas and some kind of active amplifier. Either that or the satellite antennas serve double duty. I'm really not sure which.

the best one i have ever had is in the 1997 gtp one has it in the glass and my gt has normal antenna. both of them sitting in my shop (both with the same factory cd player) the one in the glass will get alot more stations. (up to 130 miles away) as the standered one has problems picking up a station 60 miles away.

any information on this factory amplifier? is it external of the radio? basically, can I salvage one from a junkyard?

Also, Anthony, your test is inconclusive. if you swapped the two radios between the cars and performed the same test, you might see that it is the radio itself, and not the antennae. I did this with several radios and marked them according to the number of stations found. I had an all time low of 7 with one radio to a high of 45 with two others(i tested about ten). these were all the same model radio in the same vehicle.

My '72 Cadillac Coupe Deville (RIP) had the radio antenna in the windshield too. I guess GM experimented with it in the 70's, but maybe antenna amp technology was in its infancy back then so they went back to regular masts.

EDIT: GM eSI works at home, so I managed to look it up for you, Ken. Factory radio is external from the amp. It's located just above the rear window above the headliner. Its wiring is very simple, coax in, coax out, it grounds to the frame, and 1 wire for power.