What If.........

1badtgp

GM Built transmissoins that could hold more than 200hp... WOW, I could afford to finish the REST OF THE CAR!!

Are there any other transmissions for this hotord that can take 300hp or more? I'm not hitting that, but I'm sure it's not going to be long and I will, if I can quit blowing trannies!

Who is doing the rebuilds? (I know, you asked the question ;)

I would check the line pressures. There is no reason that it should be burning clutches like that. I haven't really gone into them myself, so there may be another cause, but that is one place to start. If the pressures aren't high enough then of course you will get slippage.

But I'm willing to bet that heat is your issue. Do you have an auxiliary cooler (besides the one in the fender)? I really think the fender mounted one is very inadequate. This really hit home when I was working on my Moms Supercharged Bonne and it has a trans cooler 1/2 the size of the radiator. After a few failures on replacment transmissions I installed the largest B&M stacked plate cooler I could find. Its seemed to really help, and you would really be amazed at the amount of heat it pulls out. We don't have alot of run time on that cooler though because there are other issues with the car.

Also, an adjustable modulator is a real help to firm up the shifts. I have seen several rebuilders use this to dial it in. So less slip less heat less burn.

As far as the cooler goes I am thinking of adding a scoop to where the hose runs from underneeth the front of the car to direct more air to the tranny cooler. Am thinking of an 45 degree piece of PCV pipe 5 in diameter, will cut to make into scoop and bolt into place. Am also thnking of putting anouther tranny cooler stacket with the stock one.

Level 10 does rebuilds (not sure what gets strenghtened), I have also been told that JeffM has a rebuild recipe. Pontiac Jeff (in Georgia - if not flooded out :joke:) has vast exerience with these trannies also.

Well the problem with it being in the fender is general airflow. As long as you are moving, air will flow through it pretty well. And its sufficient for a stock car at 225 tq. However, mods send the torque through the roof and alot of cars will get over 300lbtq really fast which puts alot of heat into it. So an upgrade is very important to the cooler. I want to measure it, but air flow through the stock aux cooler is probably pretty poor up to 40 mph. You can get alot of heat in there under 40 mph. And when you stop, the heat just builds up in the cooler housing, no cooling action going on. If the cooler is up front, it has space to radiate heat away and the engine fan can help cool it. I don't know exactly why they didn't put it out front originally. ITs kinda a trick idea where they have it, but I'm not convinced its 100% effective. Another idea is to get one of those spiffy aux coolers with a fan and either hook it up to the primary fan, or an aux temp controller.

Maybe a 12 volt all weather 4"x4" fan mounted to the surface of the cooler would draw air as required while sitting? I have not seen the mounting area for many months so...possible there is no room...Just a suggestion. 8)

You know, I never even thought about the cooler! And with the Turbo sitting nearly right on top of the trans, I bet they got hot as heel-o compared to an n/a gp! I think I'll see about getting a better cooler this time around, and also checking into the adjustable modulator. Thanks Chris!!

Guest TurboSedan

wow, that's a nice one. i still have my stock TSTE tranny cooler with all lines, air box, metal elbow in front of the car, and ducting to the elbow. anyone interested? (cheap - make offer). i obviously have no use for it. i wonder if you could mount another stock TGP cooler on the other side of the car in the other fender and tie it into the tranny cooler system.....hmmmm....probably a dumb question. i think i'd rather go with that B&M cooler with the fan already on it.

joshua