Tie rods, is expensive actually better?

Mach Jace

I'm looking to replace my outer tie rods, finally. I figured its cheap and might as well get it over with as its not that big of a job. But browsing through the Rockauto part list is like being a little boy in a candy store all over again. What's "necessary" and what's just "excessive"? Personally I'm more lenient to getting the Deeza Premium quality but Im not sure if I should get the higher quality ones or not, its a difference of about 25 bucks for the pair.

Service Grade:$9.32 each

Raybestos:Manufacturer defect warranty

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1005227

Premium Quality HD Susp. (what's HD suspension on tie rods?):$23.79 each

Deeza:2 year/40k mile warranty

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1401665

Professional Grade:$34.79 each

Raybestos:Manufacturer defect warranty

Doesn't come with the pin, but its blue.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1031070

Most expensive (Frt Strg?):$37.79 each

Moog:Limited lifetime warranty, steering dampers are 12 months

This one comes with two extra bolts and the pieces seem like they're better quality as opposed to the others.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=202232

I'm sure they all come with the same parts/ bolts etc. But, I was told by a parts store guy that there is a difference in the quality and strength of the metal between the cheapos and say, MOOG. He said "if you're going to send it down to road soon (sell it) use the cheapo, but if you're going to keep the car, go with MOOG (or equivalent)" Personally, if you like your car, I would probably spend the extra money on the MOOG ones and not have to worry about them again (lubing aside).

Moog replacements are great. That is all we use at work on used cars and they are always great quality and easy to work with.

Especially their sway bar end links - fuck some factorys are jsut SHIT. You know when the aftermarket replacement is 4x the size it's built to last.

Or elcheapo Valuecraft and keep them greased with decent grease.

NO! I bought an outer tierod, and it was BAD! the threaded hole was way off center, and the the end was not flat to meet the nut..

I do have duralast tie-rods though.... lifetime warranty FTW!

OR

you could blow out your rack and pinnion, and the new rebuilt one you get comes with new inner tire rods already on it, so that means you don't have to pay to replace them yourself! yay!

but I think your idea would probably be better.

NO! I bought an outer tierod' date=' and it was BAD! the threaded hole was way off center, and the the end was not flat to meet the nut..

[/quote']

You mean Valuecraft re-labeled and they add a lifetime warrenty

NO! I bought an outer tierod' date=' and it was BAD! the threaded hole was way off center, and the the end was not flat to meet the nut..

[/quote']

I'd rather get a more expensive part with a 3 year warranty than a cheaper part with a lifetime warranty that will last half as long if not less. I don't like replacing the same shit on my car over and over again.

[/quote']

no.. i keep hearing that myth,which is that it is a same part. I have checked MANY of the valuecrap vs duralast parts, and there is a real difference in quality. yes, it is still cheap, but hey, it is easy enough to replace.

[/quote']

no.. i keep hearing that myth,which is that it is a same part. I have checked MANY of the valuecrap vs duralast parts, and there is a real difference in quality. yes, it is still cheap, but hey, it is easy enough to replace.

Ken, I worked for Autozone for almost 2 years. Its not a myth. They are the same part and quality, just sometimes sourced from different manufactures in China. Trust me, ive seen mant suspension parts there where a Valucraft lable was put in over the Duralast label and visa versa.

Im not gonna spend $40 each on Moog parts when I can simply spend $15 each and just keep them greased and they will last longer than the car.

Bob, I have yet to see two parts the same when I compare. I can see that the valuecraft is significantly lower quality than the duralast as they are smaller and less refined, or even totally badly built like that tie-rod. I would use a Moog or TRW for an inner tierod though...

Not saying you are wrong, though.... I would believe that they may have cross merchandised the product if they had supply issues in the past...

Another vote for Moog. All my buddies who still work on cars for a living at dealers, 4 Wheel Parts, etc will only use Moog or sometimes the factory GM stuff. I have used Moog the times I have needed it and their stuff is good quality and holds up well.

I don't care the difference between Valucraft and Duralast, it is all garbage with no place on any of my vehicles.

I thought you were ASE certified, that's the stupidest thing I have heard today! And I talked to my brother...

Moog is the only way to go

Jamie