Love your site: I've owned about 35 C. Convertibles

grannatnl

I bought my first in May of 1999 with 26,000 miles. I still have it and it has 38,000 miles. This car inspired me to search out others and try and find rare ones. As a car dealer I have bought and sold about 35 of these 1990-1995 in the last 10 years. The one I regret selling was the 1990 which had only 30,000 miles. I had to dump it because it had several problems. I have pictures of the 1990 and several others. I also have extensive experience working on these cars because of all the issues we have come across over the years. I am not claiming to be an expert but I do have field experience with many different aspects. My dealership always seems to have one or two for sale plus we have a parts car that runs (barely) which we use for trim parts. You guys talk about the unicorn which I have never seen, but I have come across the not as rare but still rare triple white 1994 and many others that had low production numbers. I am happy to be part of this forum and I hope we can all learn from each other and help make the Cutlass Conv. a better experience. FYI: those pesky rare quarter glass moldings can be replicated using garage door moldings that you can find at home depot. You need a body man with some talent but this trick has worked for others looking to correct this issue.

The 1994 triple white is pretty rare. Tripple white was only made in 1994 towards the end of the production run. I can't confirm numbers but the guy on this site who worked for Oldsmobile / Cars for Concepts maybe able to shed some more light. I will upload some of my pics when I get back to work on Monday. My dealership is located in Central NJ which I have no problem mentioning by name which I would presume is okay providing I don't actively try to sell one on this site.

We used to get this cars in slightly rough and completely redo them to get them close to perfect. with the bad economy and all it seems people prefer to buy them not 100% and get the work done on their own. Typical repairs consisted of: Timing Belt, New Top (rear glass when needed). starting in 2007 I had a run of bad A/C compressors including the one in my car. Alternators which is a pain in the butt on a 3.4L, water leaks, tires, brakes, discoloration of "A" Pillars. Popping up of dash which is indicative of all supreme models. I replaced the head covers on my car because they were defective at the time the car was built causing the car to use oil. The replacement head cover has the PCV valve moved from side to top.

The last one I sold was on ebay in late August early September. It was Blue Green 1994 with the 3.4L. It had only 27,000 miles and was the nicest one I had seen in years. (No HUD or CD player) The car was garaged and still had the original top and tires with the 3 digit build date on the tires from 1993. The quarter glass weather stripings had zero wear on them. The car sold for $7300. It was by far the nicest example I had seen in a C.S.Con. in many years.

:razz: Welcome and look forward to your input. :razz:

:willynilly: I have also just aquired my 93 vert. white with burgundy leather and 79,000 miles. Grandkids looking forward to next summer for parades and fun.

:high5: Stored for now with my 72 Riviera.

Kevin in ND

Welcome!

That's funny. When I read your first post I wondered if you might be the dealer that sold that teal one for $7300. That car is identical to mine, just much nicer. I actually saved all of the pictures from that ebay auction to my hard drive because they helped me identify some interior pieces that I was missing.

Then I saw a nice looking red one on ebay a couple months later and I noticed it had the same dealer license plate on the front.

So, how do you find your convertibles? Do you actively seek them out on craigslist? Or do you just happen to come across them at dealer auctions?

The 1994 triple white is pretty rare. Tripple white was only made in 1994 towards the end of the production run. I can't confirm numbers but the guy on this site who worked for Oldsmobile / Cars for Concepts maybe able to shed some more light.

W-body.com has an app for that!

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=83604.0

The teal one was so clean the guy who bought it sent me an email telling me it was nicer than he had expected. It was in better shape than mine but I put too much time into mine I can't sell it. Several times I wanted to switch for one with HUD or a CD player but my wife and I took this one to our wedding and we can't part with it just yet.

I used to swap parts out for better better pieces but my partners won't let me do that anymore. Tomorrow morning I want to see how many photos of the 1990 I can come up with. I know we have kept all the pictures of all the cars we sold in the last 3-5 years.

FYI: I have a few contacts who specialize in searching for "near classic cars" that are traded-in to new car dealer's lots. Many of the new car stores don't sell cars older than 10 years old so they are forced to dump them. Last year we had a 1985 Caprice Wagon with 77,000 miles that looked like it was just built. We also had a 1996 Camaro Conv. with mileage in the 30's that was mint. Although our market is mostly newer cars, this end of it is more of a hobby and not very profitable. With that being said we would buy them fix them up and sell them mainly as a hobby and we would make a little money doing it.

WELCOME!!!!

i am no longer the 2nd? lowest mile vert owner active on the forum :lol: :sad:

I am sure there are more owners than you think that just don't post.

fixed for rob

The Bra ruined my paint on the hood. It looks perfect but under the bra there are some paint bubbles. Bras suck never use them. I prefer not to remove it for now because of the imperfections it caused.

Here is a pic of the 1990 C Supreme Conv.

A friend of mine has a bra on his car, and it hasn't damaged his paint. As long as you take it off whenever you wash the car, or the car gets wet/excessively dirty, they seem to be fine.

Most don't though. :lol:

I'm envious of you for getting to find and have so many over the years, they're really cool cars.

The sad thing is I had trouble selling that car with 33,000 miles. It had an odd brake issue where the brakes felt like they pulsaded while they were pressed (in park). I took it to several guys who are top notch and they were unable to solve the problem. At the end I was told it was a characteristic of that braking system which for 1990 was linked some how to the power steering pump? Also a metal piece of the top frame was cracked and we had it fabricated. Other than that the car was mint and I regret selling it. Selling price on ebay was around $6,000 (Summer 2008) way less than I expected. For those who are interested I have about 25 pics of this car but I wasn't sure if posting all of them would violate the terms of this forum. Also I copied the sticker so you guys can ad the vin# to your collection. If people want me to I have more cars I can ad that I have pics of.