What's missing?

DefEddie

Just offhand,anybody know what's missing on this motor?

To me it look's like a tensioner and possibly an idler.

You guy's know these engine's better than I do though.

A pic would be cool,thanks.

Haven't found a 3.1 to look at yet.

214fb3a5.jpg

How is it that everything appears to be routed alright still and be able to actually work? Does this car run like this with the tensioner gone?

except for the massive amount of slack you can see to the laft of the crank pulley...

but it could run, if you had the right length belt... but it would have no tolerance to it at all...

Yes,the engine DID run yesterday with the belt setup like this.

Only for a quick startup to verify it would.

I would NOT run or suggest anyone running like this though.

The waterpump was not turning,so if you like your engine do this for testing purposes only.

I bought the car like this (see thread in "turbo grand prix" section here).

They told me "a pulley thing" was taken off it while parked for another vehicle.

I am going to drive it into my shop,but first want to replace the tensioner that belongs there.

I will be using the engine in my 88 Fiero,so I'll maybe need the tensioner anyway.

Might as well buy it now rather than risk the engine backing it into my shop.

Thanks for the help everyone,got called in this afternoon to work for someone so I'll pick up the tensioner while i'm at work (autozone).

Hopefully someone comes in with an early 90's grand prix so I can get a pic of how it goes.

I see a clean spot though,so looking pretty obvious how it goes.

Just want to verify also,that it is just a tensioner-NOT an idler.

Again,thanks for the help

Def

Actually,they are different.

The pulley on the tensioner is called a tensioner pulley.

An idler has a different function,it is simply a pulley bolted to the block that simply adjust belt geometry and spins.

Idler pulley's can be ribbed in some applications or flat to roll along the backside of the belt.

Generally the tensioner pulley will be opposite the idler pulley.

ie..if the tensioner pully is ribber,the idler is smooth/ vice/versa.

Not a rule,just an observation i've made from the many i've messed with.

But a tensioner pulley and an idler pulley(and tensioner and idler) are two different things (though the part numbers of one could possibly apply to the other pulley wise,i doubt on the same vehicle though.)

Actually,they are different.

The pulley on the tensioner is called a tensioner pulley.

An idler has a different function,it is simply a pulley bolted to the block that simply adjust belt geometry and spins.

Idler pulley's can be ribbed in some applications or flat to roll along the backside of the belt.

Generally the tensioner pulley will be opposite the idler pulley.

ie..if the tensioner pully is ribber,the idler is smooth/ vice/versa.

Not a rule,just an observation i've made from the many i've messed with.

But a tensioner pulley and an idler pulley(and tensioner and idler) are two different things (though the part numbers of one could possibly apply to the other pulley wise,i doubt on the same vehicle though.)

All about the technicalities aren't we?

The assembly with a pulley is called a tensioner, though the pulley CAN be called an idler.

Sorry mra,

I am and have been a long time lurker of forums for years now.

It always drives me crazy when there is incorrect,missing etc.. type of info on a thread when i'm checking archives.

I try to remember to answer and explain thoroughly anything I can, cause i've been the person that has read 4 year old posts that nobody remembers and has controversial or confusing info in it.

Also,as a dealer technician and a parts store guy it drives me crazy that most people don't even understand what they are asking about.

The two pulleys do two different things two different way's,the only thing they have in common is they spin.

Sorry,wasn't trying to be a knowitall or dik.

Def