Flames out my tail pipe

cstyle73

You'll need some kind of fuel injection system, because EFI is not going to allow unburnt fuel into the exhaust system. I think in the 50's, they had a way of running the fuel mixture so rich that some unburnt fuel entered the exhaust. To do this on an EFI car, you'd need to reprogram the PCM to do such a thing. So you'd need some kind of direct injection into the exhaust.

If you had an old domestic vehicle from the 60s or earlier, with a manual choke, then what you want to do would be no problem. Otherwise, it is going to be quite difficult, as stated before, the computer will not allow unburnt fuel into the exhaust system.

One of my buddy's friends hooked up a fuel tank in his car (trunk maybe) with a hose into the tail pipe with an nossel and some kind of igniter at the end. He could push a button in his car and it would shoot out some of the gas and ignite it. I'm not exactly sure what he used but I know that was the idea of it.

wait wait wait. Don't give up so easily. Theoretically you might be able to set it up in the same way as a carburated setup, not quite as effective, but it might work. First you'll need to remove your cat, as it will plug up with the unburnt fuel. Next, and this is how you do it with any car without manual choke, cut power to the coil with a switch. The fuel injectors might continue firing even if spark quits. I'm thinking as long as there's crank signal they will. rev your engine to the 3k limiter, flip the switch, the car will load up with fuel, right? The tough part of the flamethrowers is how do you ignite it? Use a coil and spark plug, yes, but a coil needs a short signal voltage, not a continuous 12V. A friend of mine and I have tried using a turn signal flasher, it did work, but I'm not sure how long it will work. Food for thought. Lots safer than a can of gas in the trunk, I guess.

that or elce a washer fluid resivor of gas to a fuel injector to a spark plug..... I have seen it set up this way, pretty neat if you ask me......

I really dont think that a fuel injected car can dump that much gas, my dad did it on a ol 1970 GTO Judge of his..... he da a spark plug about 4 in from the tail pipe and a coil... what he would heve to do way kill it, floor it, then start it with the spark plugg going Full Time...... I never saw this setup for he was only 20 @ the time.... he is 52 now....

you need a Fuel cell or to tap into the fuel line.

run a braided high temp line to a injector or two for Duel that is hooked up to a swich,

and also on that switch you would hook up a coil pack to cause spark and then you would need a Spark plug mounted to the tail pipe...

make sure you never ever run this when just IDLEING or when car is off.....

I know this is what I was told to do when I was going to put it on my 38 ford P-U

you would need at least 12" of clearance for the injector to spark plug

and the Spark plug would be about 3" in from the end of the pipe....

the gas needs to become a mist and when spark is applied you would get a FLame..

NOTE: not Responcible for any damage. or injuries {property or Personal} caused by this

Always RESEARCH can I would sugest contacting some Street Rod forums and asking this....

Eeeks! :yikes: I don't think I'd recommend propane.

A few decades ago, my stepdad's cousin worked at a carwash and a truck went through the automated carwash with a propane tank on the bed. Somehow, one of the brushes damaged a hose on the tank causing propane to leak. Something ignited it, causing the truck to explode. It took out the entire block and could be felt/heard for miles away. The only part left of my stepdad's cousin that they found was his foot.

A friend of mine from high school lived in the area a mile or two away. His mom remembers it clearly, she said it felt like an earthquake.

If you can get a kit, I'd definitely recommend it. I'm sure there are kits out there. At least that way, if there's a design flaw in the kit that causes damage, you can try to sue them!

I am trying to find a kit right now. I posted some questions on a few hot rod posts so maybe I'll get some more help that way. My dad said his brother had his 58 Impala like that but he can't remember how he did it. I'm going to call his brother tomorrow.