'95 Cutlass Supreme Console Lid Hinge

Galaxie500XL

From what I've been able to gather, the console lid hinge is a common broken item on our cars. I also know that GM frequently uses the same parts on a bunch of different cars. Does any other car use the same console lid/hinge as the '95-'97 Cutlass Supreme?

I'd really like to fix this...

didn't someone say that they taking on the task of producing a better replacement hinge no too long ago??

Yeah someone wanted to make a replacement hinge section out of aluminum. It's a good idea in theory, but you know how that goes. Bob draws it on MS Paint, DOHCV6 offers to make them and it's priced at $400 :buddy:

'94-96 GP, '95-96 Regal. Not sure about the Lumina's/ Monte's but theirs break too.

'96 hinges were more reinforced if that means anything.

That's exactly what I needed. This area is LOADED with junkyards...I just needed to know what cars to look at. Thanks!

Just one more question...how best do you take it out without destroying it?

I figure if they break easy installed, taking one that hasn't broken yet might be a little tricky.

they are not so hard to find i have came across a few in my ventures, i actually picked a broken one so i could change the color on mine. but mine isnt broke.

if you would like i have a thread in the wanted section i can find you a working one eventually. doesnt matter the color cuz you can change that from your original.

didn't someone say that they taking on the task of producing a better replacement hinge no too long ago??

Yeah someone wanted to make a replacement hinge section out of aluminum. It's a good idea in theory, but you know how that goes. Bob draws it on MS Paint, DOHCV6 offers to make them and it's priced at $400 :buddy:

ROFLMAO!!!!

Years ago when I had my GP, I wanted to make some replacement hinges.

It's basically the big part thats attached to the lid that always breaks, correct?

QFT!

the hinge can be taken out and apart from the center console, you have to split the console to get it out i believe. you can do so by unscrewing the screws in/by the rear ashtray

Great information everyone...thanks a bunch! Sounds like it would be smart to find two of them...one to fix the one that's broken, and one to fix the one that will eventually break.

The console lid is the last thing left that needed fixing on my car...over the past two months since I bought it, I've fixed everything else.

Hope it stays that way for awhile...

Easiest fix I've seen- Take some small metal strips, put a few holes through them, and some course screws into the plastic. Be sure to pre-drill to prevent any stress cracks.

Thanks for the shortcut...unfortunately, my hinge is broken at one of the pins...

But I'll do this mod to the replacement.