loud, aggressive, legal, exhaust.

PROTESTtheHERO

Ahh didn't see you were from up North.

And yeah.. they're sticklers about that crap here in NYS

Only if its 96 and up. Ive never had a problem getting my TGP to pass and that has no mufflers at all.

I love the sound of that, straight pipe from the cat back, with a resonator and no mufflers. Most people are shocked i have a V6 after they hear the exhaust.

Where the hell do you go for inspections??

Ive had it inspected at two different shops. Granted i know the mechanics/owners at both places. But the mechanic i usually go to has failed me twice for brakes (PMIII going on the TGP and brake lines starting to rust on my Park Ave) and once for a broken rear strut on the 87 Park Ave i had so its not like they just slap a sticker on it and thats it. Its a 1989, it doesnt have to pass emissions, it should pass inspection at any shop :dunno:. Hell the 88 Crown Vic i had passed with nothing after the cat, not even a pipe :lol:

Haha, minus diesel trucks that like blowing a million decibels along with a death-cloud all over your car

Diesel trucks are FTW!! The louder and more smoke the better!

Haha, minus diesel trucks that like blowing a million decibels along with a death-cloud all over your car

Yeah, except when they BLOW IT IN YOUR WINDOW!

my buddy has a 90 olds eighty eight and he also has the 3.8 and hes got a magnaflow on it. it sounds ok i guess for a magnaflow but it sounds like the stock duals on a grand prix etc. im going for more of an obnoxious sound without my car sounding like a shit can. i wish there were more vids of the series 1 3800 with modified exhausts so id have more to play with. heres a vid of someone who put the series 1 into a citation. thats the sort of sound im going for.

he claims its a 2.5" straight out with a high flow cat and dual flow masters. sounds pretty damn good but im not sure if duals will be in my budget when i get around to doing the exhaust. he says he has no info on what model they are or anything so theres a bit of guesswork involved

I agree. My truck doesn't smoke much. The newer trucks are tuned more precisely and don't smoke much. I took my cat off so allows more smoke. I have done to a few people who like to cut me off in traffic when I am towing my trailer. If I get next to them I roll into and blow some coal at them whether the window is down or not. I am rolling 14k lbs and you want be ricer racer, be ready for some payback. Trainhorns are fun for those people too. They are on the list of near future mods.

The other one I don't get is when people want to race me. Of course I am going full throttle and going to smoke. If you are on my right and have your window down. It's your own fault. If you honestly think you won't have a problem staying ahead, thats fine, but you better be damn sure if you are leaving your window down.

As for exhaust. I have run magnaflow and so have several of my friends. They are typically very popular for daily drivers because they sound good at WOT, but are quieter than most cruising. I have one on my Cutlass and it barely makes much noise crusing 75 on the freeway or around town at light throttle. My wife's Camaro is the same. It does make more noise cruising, but not much. It just has a good tone. Compared to other Camaro's I have been in with other systems, it is one of the most tolerable while cruising and has good tone.

One of my buddies works at 4 wheel parts and has been through about every combo on his truck. I swear he changes his exhaust weekly. He has taken the resonator off of his truck twice while leaving the same muffler before and after. The humm or noise was real annoying. Flowmaster will make you want to shoot yourself if it is a DD. Granted, on pickups with V8's the effects will be diff than a 3800, but the principle's are the same. Remove your resonator, you will have more noise "resonating" inside the car. Cat's quiet things down quite a bit. When I put one back on my jeep because my inspection hookup went away....it toned things down quite a bit. I have a delta flow 40 series flowmaster on it.

Anothing thing to keep in mind if the warranty / quality against corrosion if you plan on keeping your car a while.

I agree. My truck doesn't smoke much. The newer trucks are tuned more precisely and don't smoke much. I took my cat off so allows more smoke. I have done to a few people who like to cut me off in traffic when I am towing my trailer. If I get next to them I roll into and blow some coal at them whether the window is down or not. I am rolling 14k lbs and you want be ricer racer, be ready for some payback. Trainhorns are fun for those people too. They are on the list of near future mods.

The other one I don't get is when people want to race me. Of course I am going full throttle and going to smoke. If you are on my right and have your window down. It's your own fault. If you honestly think you won't have a problem staying ahead, thats fine, but you better be damn sure if you are leaving your window down.

Haha, trainhorns are something I DO want!!

yeah' date=' because losing power is a good thing :rolleyes:

[/quote']

What? :thinking:

The ones ive seen sure werent starving for power! High 7s in the 1/8th mile out of a full size truck doesnt sound to shabby to me...

The ones ive seen sure werent starving for power! High 7s in the 1/8th mile out of a full size truck doesnt sound to shabby to me...

BLACK SMOKE = BAD TUNE = LOST POWER

BLACK SMOKE = BAD TUNE = LOST POWER

Yep, black smoke it fuel that was only partially burned (about 50%) when it reached the hot exhaust. White smoke is is fuel that was not burned at all until it hit the exhaust. Granted, trucks with big tunes tend to smoke some, a bunch of smoke is an inefficient tune.

alright this is all good stuff, except 4 the stuff about diesels cuz w-bodies never came with diesels. ne ways thanks for all the help guys/girls! oh yeah, if u wanna see some funny shit go on youtube and look up diesel smoking. its when dicks get in their diesel trucks and go through town and smoke out people on the streets.

Just so you know, any modification from stock is illegal.

I don't know many places where that applies. That must fucking suck.

And on the note of 3800 noise, yes.. It's incredibly difficult to make it not sound like ass (I don't care what series the motor is). If you go loud, it's going to sound assy no matter what you do. This guy in our local ClubGP chapter used to have the SLP Loudmouth exhaust on his GTP and as far as obnoxious exhaust goes, it probably sounded the best. Borla makes good stuff, too.

Flowmasters never ever EVER belong on a 3800.

it applys in maine..sucks up here, they really dont want you even putting cosmetic things on your car haha

To be legal Ontario must have a cat and sensors that work no codes and must have completed a drive cycle to pass I have seen passes with the light on but it should be cleared and a new drive cycle completed.

They do have what they call a conditional pass pay a max of 200 bucks work. But you can't change title until it passes.

I should add pre 1986 dosn't need etest I believe.

You can go after market and keep it legal. I personally don't think even strait open exhaust can make them sound better. But I am from older days true duals perfect tuned V8 that’s a sound they just can’t match.

The best solution is going to be the best match for your induction less restriction. For me loud only gives me headaches slight rumble is better.

JMLO :cool:

To be legal Ontario must have a cat and sensors that work no codes and must have completed a drive cycle to pass I have seen passes with the light on but it should be cleared and a new drive cycle completed.

They do have what they call a conditional pass pay a max of 200 bucks work. But you can't change title until it passes.

I should add pre 1986 dosn't need etest I believe.

You can go after market and keep it legal. I personally don't think even strait open exhaust can make them sound better. But I am from older days true duals perfect tuned V8 that’s a sound they just can’t match.

The best solution is going to be the best match for your induction less restriction. For me loud only gives me headaches slight rumble is better.

JMLO :cool:

its 1987 and older that is etest exempt but apperantly if your car came with a cat from factory it must still be there.

What size is your exhaust at the down pipe? 2 1/2" dia. or 2 1/4" dia.

Which ever it is this is what I suggest, it'll be loud or growl when you want it.

Assuming your down pipe is 2 1/2":

Down pipe 2 1/2" dia. to a highflow cat (2 1/2" inlet and 2 1/2" outlet) 2 1/2" then to a Magnaflow Welded muffler (single 2 1/2" dia. inlet w/ dual 2 1/4" dia. outlets) 2 1/4" to rolled edge tips

Doesn't have to be stainless steel either, just make sure it's all mandrel bent and level.

Good luck.... I sure this will be shot down. :downsgun:

not shooting you down, but hear me out.

Mandrel is good, but not cheap. Just warning you.

Also, 2.5 is way too big. You'll lose some bottom end torque with a pipe that big. I would stick with 2.25.

not shooting you down, but hear me out.

Mandrel is good, but not cheap. Just warning you.

Also, 2.5 is way too big. You'll lose some bottom end torque with a pipe that big. I would stick with 2.25.

Ok, but my Christine ('93 Lumina Z34) had a 2 1/2" down pipe. That's what I did to hers. Doubt you'll lose any torque due to a few extra cfm exhausting. You can find a whole bunch of $#!% on exhaust and the truth about back pressure and other crap... but really... who can tell. You won't feel it in your seat. IDK :confused: Isn't mandrel pretty much standard procedure nowdays?

If his existing down pipe is 2 1/4" dia., then yes use 2 1/4" in place of the 2 1/2".

Down pipe 2 1/4" dia. to a highflow cat (2 1/4" inlet and 2 1/4" outlet) 2 1/4" then to a Magnaflow Welded muffler (single 2 1/4" dia. inlet w/ dual 2" dia. outlets) 2" to rolled edge tips

Get the welded Magnaflow muffler. It takes a beating. I've bottomed Christine a few time pretty damn hard and never split. left a nice dent to my trunk flooring where the spare goes. It went through hell and back on my girl. I loved that sound. Loved it! and miss it dearly. :cry: