loud, aggressive, legal, exhaust.

PROTESTtheHERO

Anybody know of a good exhaust that will give my regal custom (3.8l) a real growl? im thinking of a 2.25" all the way back with a magnaflow cat and still brainstorming the muffler. its impossible to justify an exhaust by youtube videos, so i gave up on that and came here. ive thought of maybe a cherrybomb glasspack, flowmaster 60 series, super 40, super 44, even the 80 series (yeah i know its transverse mount). I'm just looking for LOUD with some nice tone to it but of course its gotta be legal cuz i cant afford any tickets at this stage. the cherrybomb is the cheapest to get and offers some aggression but from the videos ive seen it makes the vehicle sound really cheap when it gets to the midrange rpm. so yeah, any ideas? thanks guys.

P.S. i apologize if there is already a thread identical to this one, but i couldnt find it. if there is, can you direct me to it? thanks again.

ask this question to 50 car guys and you will get 50 different answers.

the one thing we will all agree on though is that the 3800 is near impossible to make sound good.

Regal custom, so you have a first gen then?

if you want loud, just get the resonator removed and put in a different muffler. Series 1 3800's sound a bit different from the series 2's, and very few people have heard a series 1 because very few cars had them, and those that did were not ones people would modify.

a 2.25" pipe will add a deep growl that will sound pretty good.

just don't get a magnaflow mufler. the drone gets old after a while.

i have no intentions on getting magnaflow cuz i just dont like the sound in general. that monte sounds amazing, exactly what im going for. my regal is the first gen with the series 1 3800 and yeah its near impossible to find anything for it. for the exhaust id still need the cat as i have to pass the ontario etest shit every year. just did my last one like 4 days ago and passed with amazing results tho. i realize that im guna get a lot of opinions but it helps in the brainstorming. thanks guys

Just so you know, any modification from stock is illegal.

not here cuz my bro worked at pipes performance exhaust for a couple years cuz his buddy owned it. 90% of the exhaust jobs were modified for high performance vehicles. he did grand nationals, jeep srt-8s, a hemi Tj my bro built for someone and a bunch of other custom jobs. i think as long as youre not too loud and u pass the ontario drive clean then ur good to go.

now lookin at the exhaust cutouts i think that might be a good idea to run a nice flowmaster for every day use n then have the cutout for when i want to be loud. if i ran a magnaflow high flow cat n had the cutout after it then id be doin some good for the environment, but i dont want it to take away from the sound. i dont mean to ramble on but im just kinda thinking out loud.

Just so you know, any modification from stock is illegal.

I don't know many places where that applies. That must fucking suck.

And on the note of 3800 noise, yes.. It's incredibly difficult to make it not sound like ass (I don't care what series the motor is). If you go loud, it's going to sound assy no matter what you do. This guy in our local ClubGP chapter used to have the SLP Loudmouth exhaust on his GTP and as far as obnoxious exhaust goes, it probably sounded the best. Borla makes good stuff, too.

Flowmasters never ever EVER belong on a 3800.

as long as i left the cutout closed on the street i think id be ok cuz they only check you if ur excessively loud or if its noticeable that your exhaust is busted/ no cat. im also not really planning on a long life with this car cuz its never seen undercoat and has been driven year round since new. i bought it off of an old couple a few doors down who got it when the gentleman was still working at the oshawa GM plant (where it was built). ne ways, its got some rust in typical places and for $750 i dont think putting money into it i cant take back out when i scrap her would be a good idea. i really love the W bodys tho so i might get a 98 regal gs or something next. then ill put money into it.

Ahh didn't see you were from up North.

And yeah.. they're sticklers about that crap here in NYS

Only if its 96 and up. Ive never had a problem getting my TGP to pass and that has no mufflers at all.

I love the sound of that, straight pipe from the cat back, with a resonator and no mufflers. Most people are shocked i have a V6 after they hear the exhaust.

Ahh didn't see you were from up North.

And yeah.. they're sticklers about that crap here in NYS

Only if its 96 and up. Ive never had a problem getting my TGP to pass and that has no mufflers at all.

I love the sound of that, straight pipe from the cat back, with a resonator and no mufflers. Most people are shocked i have a V6 after they hear the exhaust.

Where the hell do you go for inspections??

I had two different L67 setups on my Riv that sounded great and had no rasp and they both had magnaflow muffs.

i have no intentions on getting magnaflow cuz i just dont like the sound in general.

I have no hope for you. :razz:

In PA we're allowed to do aftermarket exhaust, as long as it's PA legal but we have to leave the emissions in place. The most they do is a visual inspection up here and maybe shoot a thermometer gun at the cat to make sure it hot and not hollow. They also test the damn gas cap and charge us $20. On the flip side motorcycles don't need to have a muffler as long as the mechanic doesn't think it's "too loud". Motorcycle noise is kind of a problem in my eyes since I like having my baby take naps and stuff, it gets old.

In PA we're allowed to do aftermarket exhaust, as long as it's PA legal but we have to leave the emissions in place. The most they do is a visual inspection up here and maybe shoot a thermometer gun at the cat to make sure it hot and not hollow. They also test the damn gas cap and charge us $20. On the flip side motorcycles don't need to have a muffler as long as the mechanic doesn't think it's "too loud". Motorcycle noise is kind of a problem in my eyes since I like having my baby take naps and stuff, it gets old.

REALLY REALLY old, I fucking HATE it!!

I agree.. Magnaflows sound like poop

:lol:

They sound fine on every 3800 I've heard :shrug:

Mine sounded better once I removed the resonator and put in a 2.25" pipe all the way back, but the sound does get annoying. The drone gets old pretty quickly. Its more of a humm than a growl unless you're at WOT.

The only two things I like about winter, no bugs, and no noisemakers

The only two things I like about winter, no bugs, and no noisemakers

Haha, minus diesel trucks that like blowing a million decibels along with a death-cloud all over your car