transmission cooler install

douellette

okay, cuz i read somewhere that it was better to keep the factory one hooked up too but wasnt sure if it would be a problem if i bypassed it. and it was thinking about mounting it on the passenger side near the factory lines.

I seem to remember reading it was good to have the radiator endtank hooked up that way the transmission wouldn't get too cool in colder weather.

while the tranny will eventually heat up to a normal temp on its own, in the winter, its much quicker with both in use.

i'd vote both.

both. without question. liquid to liquid coolers are pretty efficient, and you will be feeding a additional trans cooler cooler fluid to cool down, it will keep things cooler overall.

What order would you put them in? Radiator first, or cooler first?

putting it through the external cooler first would be pointless, since it would just heat back up to the radiator temp...

the top line is the return for sure.. i know i have added a cooler to both of my cars.. also GM did that so the air would be forced out and be all fluid once its flowing.. :high5:

the top line is the return for sure.. i know i have added a cooler to both of my cars.. also GM did that so the air would be forced out and be all fluid once its flowing.. :high5:

alright, so im going to be installing the cooler inline with the top line then?

Bah, installing hoses to and from the radiator plus to and from the trans cooler sounds too complex. I had pull a wrecker rad from a '91 Regal GS sedan a few weeks ago thanks to that annoying v-angle crack in the end cap leak that develops in the plastic and luckily for me it had a cooler attached (it was a direct to trans cooler only install too). I took the hoses and installed it the same way on my car. Whenever i repair or replace something on my car i drop the hood and say "YEAH YOU'RE WELCOME". That way my car understands it's fortunate to be repaired at all versus DA CRUSHA and knows not to pull any shit.

Bah, installing hoses to and from the radiator plus to and from the trans cooler sounds too complex. I had pull a wrecker rad from a '91 Regal GS sedan a few weeks ago thanks to that annoying v-angle crack in the end cap leak that develops in the plastic and luckily for me it had a cooler attached (it was a direct to trans cooler only install too). I took the hoses and installed it the same way on my car. Whenever i repair or replace something on my car i drop the hood and say "YEAH YOU'RE WELCOME". That way my car understands it's fortunate to be repaired at all versus DA CRUSHA and knows not to pull any shit.

lol.

Its not really that hard. Just buy the correct fittings for the hose attachments at your local auto store and you'll be fine.

alright, so im going to be installing the cooler inline with the top line then?

yes here is what u should do b/c thats all i did.. the top line on the radiator follow that down to the tranny hoses at the core support.. where the return line is for the tranny take the hose off the line and run a hose to the cooler and the hose should go on the bottom.. just like GM did.. inlet on the bottom and outlet on top.. Then runs another hose from the outlet of the cooler to the return hose on the tranny.. and just use a 3/8 barb connector andd hose clamps to join the 2 hoses together and your done.. about a 2 hour job start to finish.. i ran my hoses tight under the core support dont worry it wont get damaged because the subframe will hit anything brfore the core support does.. i also used the supplied hold down ties and attached it to the condenser only not both the radiator and condenser.. so you will have to push the radiator out of the way to attach it to the condenser only.. no need to drain any fluid if you can get around it like i did.. Good Luck and hope i helped ya out