Nightshade Techniques

oldscsc

sorry to start back an older thread, but is the nightshade in some aerosal can?? where is it available? I looked on advaced auto's website and couldn't find anything.

you'll have to get it from ebay or something, advance doesn't carry it afaik

I actually went down to advance and auto zone today... Advance carries the Duplicolor version, but they were out of stock, so I went to auto zone and they had it, but it was rustoleum's version... Gonna try it tomorrow on some spare taillights.

okay, so I have the taillights ready for clear coat, but I noticed that the nightshade doesn't have acetone in it, while the auto body grade clear coat I'm using does. Before I spray the clear, does anyone know if the acetone will remove the night shade or make it crack or blister?

just got done with them. used the rustoleum nightshade, clear coat, then buffed em. They didn't come out great, but they look alright. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

the rustoleum kind fades sooooooo quickly! I originally did my front corners on the cutlass in them, and redid them a few months later, only to redo them in nightshades a few months after that because I couldn't keep them shiny.

mine had a slightly more satin finish that I think worked well for my car

IMG_2592.jpg

IMG_2601.jpg

Here's a link to pics of them and a few other pics. They came out darker than I wanted, and they probably would've came out better if I did it in a warmer place than my basement, but they are what they are. Can't decide if I like them or not. And sorry for them being so dirty...roads are still too messy to take it to the wash.

http://picasaweb.google.com/RZBOLDSrules/NightshadeTailights#

take some acetone and wipe it back off before it hardens all the way.

might come off all the way, if not orange stripper will work. then you can try again.

test the acetone first on a junk part if you are not sure, but it should not harm the plastic. not sure what was in this reducer I used, but it worked well without hurting anything.

• 8 months later...

If you mess up on the glass i`ve found Goof Off works really really good but dont try it on plastic, Ive nightshaded all the way around my 94 2door Cutlass but i messed up the inner quads in the front and found out the hard way. It looks good with the greenish teal color I think. Need a camera for some pics.

• 1 month later...

I`ve had my `94 Cutlasses tail lights nightshaded for a few years and the stuff kindof wears off some after awhile, If your going to do this get yourself a second set of tail lights to hang on to.