400hp 3.4dohc.... RIIIIIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sonyman87

I stand corrected, been defending those damn 4.3s all these years, must have read tainted specs. Still, a .4 or .5 second difference...kinda like Bush beating Gore i think.

marc

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aaron

• 91GranSport

• turbostewhite

• Bolt_Crank

You can check GM's website or talk to the guys at http://www.c5forum.com and they'll tell you that the Z06 is only available in a 6-speed.

You can easily dump red fuel rail covers and the Z06 sticker to a regular coupe, as well as replace the rear hatch glass with the shorter "fastback" style Z06. The Z06 itself is very, very different from the coupe/convertible. Aside from looks (brake cooling ducts, shorter glass, emblems, etc.) the powertrain and supension is quiet different. I've driven both the regular 6-speed targa-top coupe and a 6-speed Z06 and I can honestly say they're as different as night-and-day. Which would I prefer? The targa-top coupe. The Z06 is too harsh to use on a daily basis.

The Z06 is only available in a 6-speed.

ok ???? i have driven a Z06 Corvette auto that my aunt has and after feeling the ballcrushing acceleration i highly doubt that one of out cars can beat one. yea it's a auto but my uncle has the 6-speed( i like that alot better!!!).

Well then she must have an immitation she bought it at Mac Master here in london, On what could it be then?????? i am very sure that it is a Z06,

Guest RedCutlassSL
detuned/redesigned to make 215HP so trannys didnt blow.

wrong. a 285hp Lumina would slap a 285hp corvette, and face it, GM didnt want a Lumina to bitch slap its pride and joy corvette.

Aaron's stupidity strikes again.

wrong. a 285hp Lumina would slap a 285hp corvette, and face it, GM didnt want a Lumina to bitch slap its pride and joy corvette.

Aaron's stupidity strikes again.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

a heavier car (Lumina) with the same power as a lighter car (Vette) will be slower, ya know, something to do with physics or something, so even if they had the same power the Vette would still be faster. plus, the Vette would have a lot more torque... the 2001 Z06 is supposedly only 100lbs lighter than a Z34.... and both have a transverse leafspring setup :lol:

though... the Vette is only close to the Lumina's weight... 'cuz of the giant ass powerful engine!

nto true. think about FWD/RWD. hat makes a huge difference. i have all my power right at my rear wheels, the vette has to convert it, run it to the back, then go through the diff. loss of power bigtime. also i can run to over 7000rpm, while the vettes of that year redlined at 5800. that makes a tremendous difference. kenny's tgp pulled me, but when hed shift, id gain a little back cuz i got to run all the way to 7k rpm. so how can i already run RIGHT BESIDE a 2002 GT mustang, they have 260hp and over 280 tq? its becuz where power is made and FWD, which is y our acura CL-S has 260 and is running mid 14s

once you get to highway speeds, aerodynamics will also kick in, and the Vette will pull away :P

they wont play a part till 100+, well, a big enough part at least. but yes they will take a factor.

and, when you slam on the gas, the vette is going to get a jump on you because of the weight shift

id be toast off the line, those things have mucho tq, and the weight shifts right onto the rear wheels, id have no chance. but i say i had a 285hp car, vette has 285, we do a rolling form 20. traction problems aside, id win to about 120, where the vette would start to gain. but ah, i dont have 285. damn.

Aaron:

nto true. think about FWD/RWD. hat makes a huge difference. i have all my power right at my rear wheels, the vette has to convert it, run it to the back, then go through the diff. loss of power bigtime. also i can run to over 7000rpm, while the vettes of that year redlined at 5800. that makes a tremendous difference. kenny's tgp pulled me, but when hed shift, id gain a little back cuz i got to run all the way to 7k rpm. so how can i already run RIGHT BESIDE a 2002 GT mustang, they have 260hp and over 280 tq? its becuz where power is made and FWD, which is y our acura CL-S has 260 and is running mid 14s

Acura had a LSD on one of their cars, I forgot which (not thinking of the NSX). I think the Vette trannys are at the back hooked up right into the diff so it's essentially one unit. Now even tho there may be a power loss, there is a power loss with any drivetrain regardless of FWD/RWD. Where the redline is has absolutely nothing to do with where the power comes in. You can have a 9000 rpm redline and if the power comes at 4400 rpm going up to 9000 rpm does jack shit. Aerodynamics and weight differences and drive wheels have alot to do with it. The Acura may be geared differently too with a different final drive (check them out, I think most Acura Type-S's are like 4.11 or higher) and different gearing in general. Go here: http://www.smokemup.com/auto_math/edrags_test.php and do it with FWD and RWD, which one is faster Aaron ?

Ohh...by the way, I can get my hands on a 96 Corvette Grand Sport and driver, he'll love to show you that you can't keep up with him. Wanna see who can go faster? How about I race you in a 99 Z28? AND we'll start from 20 :D

Aaron, it's really laughable that you think a Lumina can keep up with a Vette. :lol:

Edit :

Oh wait, almost forgot this. Even IF the 3.4 made 285 HP and was detuned, don't you think that the Vette engine could have been detuned too?

Wow i just got here and i already think you are the dumbest person on this board. I'll take my Friends Vette out against a 285 Hp lumina any day off the week and ill whoop you all day long. I dont know what kinda crack you are smoking but you need to lay off of it cause its killing some of the more important brain cells, liek the ones that would have stopped you from posting that a lumina would beat chevy's flag ship car. And i sppose you think a 285 HP lumina would beat a Grand National too.

whoa wait a minute lemme get this one straight, You have a Lumina FWD with a 3.4 dohc and a 5 speed and "i have all my power right at my rear wheels" , umm am i missing somethgin here or did you make a very large typo.

And then You can run beside a 2002 Gt (5 speed with a decent driver most likely from those numbers) and that has 260 HP and runs mid 14's and you have your CL Type -S (with ill assume the 6 speed and decent driver) with 260 Hp running the same times. SO what were you trying to prove again? Cause im lost :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Shit dude, that's hilarious. Seriously though, GM has always under-rated their engine's HP. Look at the F-Body with the LS1. It was rated at 305HP (non-WS6/SS) and when it was dynoed it was proven to be 305HP at the wheels! That's around 330HP at the crank!

I don't care if you have 300HP out of a Lumina that has a 7000RPM redline. Redline doesn't mean shit if all your power comes at higher RPM. I've driven a Monte Carlo Z34 and it feels like a Gen1 with a 2.8 MPFI at lower speeds. So while you're struggling to get up to 4000RPM+ to produce decent power, the Vette is already far off because it produces power off idle. So what if it only goes up to 5800RPM? That's power throughout the entire rev range because it has 8 cylinders and the engine was tuned for performance right out of the factory. The 3.4L Twin Cam wasn't tuned for performance, at least not to perform the same way an L98, LT1 or LS1/LS6 was made to.

Aaron, it's really laughable that you think a Lumina can keep up with a Vette. :lol:

Edit :

Oh wait, almost forgot this. Even IF the 3.4 made 285 HP and was detuned, don't you think that the Vette engine could have been detuned too?